About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Friday, December 30, 2005

Things we learnt in 2005

From the BBC

91. Croydon has more CCTV cameras than New York.

92. You are 176 times more likely to be murdered than to win the National Lottery.

93. Koalas have fingerprints exactly like humans (although obviously smaller).

94. Bill Gates does not have an iPod.

95. The first traffic cones were used in building Preston bypass in the late 1950s, replacing red lantern paraffin burners.

96. Britons buy about one million pumpkins for Halloween, 99% of which are used for lanterns rather than for eating.

97. The mother of stocky cricketer - and this year's Strictly Come Dancing champion - Darren Gough was a ballet dancer. She helped him with his pivots.

98. Nettles growing on land where bodies are buried will reach a foot higher than those growing elsewhere.

99. The Japanese word "chokuegambo" describes the wish that there were more designer-brand shops on a given street.

100. Musical instrument shops must pay an annual royalty to cover shoppers who perform a recognisable riff before they buy, thereby making a "public performance".

5 comments:

greatwhitebear said...

Of course Bill Gates doesn't have an iPod! Bill would NEVER own anything with an Apple logo on it! it would give Steve Jobs too much satisfaction! And especially an iPod, since Microsofts mp3 player and software have been such a dismal failure!

It embarrasses me to admit that I am old enough to remember seeing the parafin pots in use as a small child.

CyberKitten said...

GWB said: It embarrasses me to admit that I am old enough to remember seeing the parafin pots in use as a small child.

That's Ok. I remember travelling on Steam Trains... when they were used regularly - and not just for tourists.....

Sleepypete said...

97 - he did a good job in the Xmas special as well ... Worthy winner.

Juggling Mother said...

Where are 1-90?

96 - I think we're genetically programmed to dislike pumpkin - I've tries soup & pie and they're both revolting. Or it could be my cooking*grin*

99 - that's just unbelievable! And sad.

Happy new year CK.

CyberKitten said...

Mrs A said: Where are 1-90?

Patience is a virtue (or so I'm told). I thought giving all 100 in one lump might be too much for people....

Happy New Year to you & yours too. Give Mr A & the Aginothlings a kiss for me..