About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Friday, June 16, 2006

My favourite Music: Adagio in G Minor for Organ and Strings by Tomaso Albinoni.

I first heard this pierce of music many, many years ago & it has haunted me ever since. The first time it found its way into my heart and my very 'soul' was whilst watching the original movie version of Rollerball. For those who have seen the movie the piece is played when James Caan is watching a video of his ex-girlfriend (who he is very much still in love with). It is still probably one of the saddest works of music I have ever heard.

For years I wondered what the music was that had captivated me and who was the genius that had written it. Not until a decade or so later did I hear it playing in a video shop in Bromley, Kent. It was one of those ‘CD Now Playing’ promotions they sometimes do and I immediately bought the CD and rushed home to play it. I wasn’t disappointed. The very first track was the piece of music I love so much that it hurts to listen to it. I now have at least half a dozen versions played by various orchestras and on various instruments. If you like classical music you may already now it – if not I can only recommend you give it a try. But be warned – the sound of it may never leave you. I’m just going to pop it on my CD player right now…..

No comments: