About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

No Longer a Christian - Part I

by Karen Horst Cobb for Common Dreams

Monday, October 25, 2004

[I’ve had this on my hard-drive for sometime now & thought it was worth a post. It’s rather long so I’ve tried to split it into what I hope are coherent parts.]

I was told in Sunday school the word "Christian" means to be Christ-like, but the message I hear daily on the airwaves from the “christian” media are words of war, violence, and aggression. Throughout this article I will spell Christian with a small c rather than a capital, since the term (as I usually hear it thrown about) does not refer to the teachings of the one I know as the Christ. I hear church goers call in to radio programs and explain that it was a mistake not to kill every living thing in Fallujah. They quote chapter and verse from the Old Testament about smiting the enemies of Israel. The fear of fighting the terrorists on our soil rather than across the globe causes the voices to be raised as they justify the latest prison scandal or other accounts of the horrors of war. The words they speak are words of destruction, aggression, dominance, revenge, fear and arrogance. The host and the callers echo the belief in the righteousness of our nation's killing. There are reminders to pray for our “Christian” president who is doing the work of the Lord: Right to Life, Second Amendment, sanctity of marriage, welfare reform, war, kill, evil liberals. . . so much to fight, so much to destroy.

Let me tell you about the Christ I know. He was conceived by an unmarried woman. He was not born into a family of privilege. He was a radical. He said, “It was said an eye for and eye and a tooth of a tooth, but now I say love your enemies and bless those who curse you.” He said, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.” (Matthew 5: 3-9) He said, “All those who are called by my name will enter the kingdom of heaven." He said, "People will know true believers if they have the fruit of the spirit--love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, self control.“

He knew he would be led like a sheep to the slaughter. He responded with “Father forgive them.“ He explained that in Christ there is neither Jew nor gentile, slave or free male nor female. He explained that even to be angry is akin to murder. He said the temple of God is not a building, but is in the hearts of those are called by his name. He was called "the Prince of Peace." His final days were spent in prayer, so that he could endure what was set before him, not on how he could overpower the evil government of that day. When they came for him he was led away and didn’t resist his death sentence. This is a stark contrast to the call of the religious Christian right, who vote for war and weapons, and suggest towns and villages be levelled to bring freedom and peace to the people. They proudly boast this country’s superiority, suggesting God has blessed our nation. Today, as I listened to a popular Christian news network, I was reminded that in the last days, even God’s elect will be deceived, (II Timothy 3:13). When the religious media moguls preaching prosperity spout their rhetoric, I am reminded of the difficulty Jesus described of a rich man’s ability to enter the kingdom of God. (Matthew 19: 24) Some who believe they are fighting evil will cry to the Lord, and he will say “I never knew you.“ (Matthew 22). They will have a form or godliness but will deny the power (II Timothy 3:5) to move mountains through prayer. (Matthew 17:20). Jesus explained that he has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of power, love, and a sound mind. (II Timothy 1:17) I wonder if the innocent moms and dads, brothers and sisters, and aunts and uncles, and grandmas and grandpas who were the victims of US military weapons (the never reported collateral damages we are protected from in the “liberal” nightly news) felt the love of Jesus with the shock and awe. I wonder if the surviving family members now understand His radical love and that they no longer have any need for weapons or defense.

12 comments:

Bender said...

I was interested by your last entry here, needless to say I think you hit some important issues. I would like to hear more about your views on how Christians should react to the events in the Middle East. As for myself, while I am saddened that many were killed in the attacks, I feel that a new democracy in those nations will open up missionary work due to new religious freedoms.

CyberKitten said...

Does the Middle East *need* Christian missionaries? Isn't it rather arrogant to suppose that a mainly Muslim population needs to be shown the 'error' of its way?

How would you feel if Muslim missionaries arrived in your country to 'save' you?

CyberKitten said...

Oh... I forgot [grin].

Welcome Matt. I hope you decide to stick around for a while.

Juggling Mother said...

hmmm, I worry about the whole "I'm a christian but don't like the church" thing. It sounds all good & right (and I'm certainly against the heirarchy of the church myself), but if you look at your history books, we've been here before:- about 500 years or so ago, there was a big movement against the corrupt catholic church & for individual, spiritual christianity. It was called Wycliffism or something, and started in the mid 14th century.

Now, what happened in the late 14th century? umm, let me think, something called the Spanish Inquisition wasn't it?

And the growth of fundementalist/soldiers of God in the US alongside the growth of individula christian spiritulism takes on a whole new level of scariness don't you think?

Juggling Mother said...

Oh yes, to Matt:

If Christian missionaries are the solution to a warring & troubled nation, what the F*** happened in Africa? Plenty of missionaries went there when it was a warring, troubled nation & and now it's a warring, troubled, disease-ridden, racially divided nation. well done those missionaries!


And yep, I know it wasn't all their fault, but nor were they the solution.

CyberKitten said...

Welcome back Mrs A......... I've missed your input lately.

I see that you had a busy time in Cornwall.....

Juggling Mother said...

aw shucks, I didn't think anyone missed my personal brand of arguments;-)

Thanks CK. It was fun going away, but good to be back:-)

dbackdad said...

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again."

Ha-ha-ha

Juggling Mother said...

Myquestioningmind

Hello & nice to "meet" you. I do communicate with people of a variety of different religous beliefs, including a number of fundementalist Christians, and yes, i know you are not all frothing lunitics. Although I find the growth of fundementalism worrying for many reasons, both personal and social, I am certainly not concerned about theocracy as a concept.

As I keep telling many US & Canadian bloggers The UK is quite definitely a theocracy, with the head of Church & the head of state being the same person, the second house being filled with the clergy, the National Curriculum being "broadly Christian" by lawe, the requirement for every school to incorporate a daily act of (christian) worship, the Christian Blasphemy Laws, the requirement for all marriages to use words from the Christian ceremony (and the fact that other religious marriages are not recognised in our law - except Catholic & Jewish), the Sunday Trading laws........ I could go on & on & on (and have done so on occasion)

It doesn't change the fact that the UK is one of the most secular countries in the world. There is nothing inherently evil about a theocracy, just as there is nothing inherently wrong about dictatorship, and nothing inherently good about democracy. People put far too much emphasis on how leaders are chosen, when they should be worrying about what type of people we are allowing to be our leaders!

I also was not talking about the soldiers in Iraq when I mentioned "Soldiers of God", but was thinking more of the fundementalists (and I use the word with a small f as they exist on all sides and in all religions) who feel it is their role to die/kill/harm others for thier belifs.

CyberKitten said...

Welcome MQM. I hope you stick around for a while. I'm sure that we can have some interesting debates here.

You said: Yes, I do think the Middle East needs Christian Missionaries, as well as religious freedom. Radical Islam is hostile to women, non-Muslims, gays and a plethora of other folks. Don't folks in those countries deserve religious choice?

As for Islamic missionaries coming over to 'save us', from listening to the rants of foreign imams, it appears that they consider us godless and unsalvageable, which is a far worse insult.

With just a (very) few word changes you could be describing some of the worst examples of Christian fundamentalism in the US (who personally I think give most other Christians a bad name). Fundamentalism of any shade is questionable in my mind. The thinking that everything would be better - if not perfect - if everyone was literally singing from the same (Christian) hymn book is dangerously naive.

CyberKitten said...

As Mrs A said - England is a strange place. It has a state religion etc (as Mrs A pointed out) and yet is one of - if not the - most Secular countries in the world.

Go figure...?

But as MQM pointed out - Europe as a whole is pretty indifferent to religion. Maybe it's because of all those religious wars & persecutions thoughtout our rather bloody history?

Juggling Mother said...

Europe as a whole is rather indifferent to religion.

Really?

Have you tried explaining that to my sibling living in Belfast, or the muslim schoolgirls in Paris, or the Romany catholics in Budapest, or the jews in Poland, or the Sihks in italy, or the.........

I would say Europe is strongly Christian in culture, just not particularly church orientated.

Officially the most secular nation in the world is China, where it is of course illegal to have a religion:-) Although apparently the Chinese cultural worship of their ancestors doesn't count.