About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Now That’s What I Call a Sacred Document: Magna Carta

Magna Carta (Latin for "Great Charter", literally "Great Paper"), also called Magna Carta Libertatum ("Great Charter of Freedoms"), was an English charter originally issued in 1215. Magna Carta is the most significant early influence on the long historical process that led to the rule of constitutional law today. Magna Carta was originally created because of disagreements between the Pope, King John and his English barons about the rights of the King. Magna Carta required the king to renounce certain rights, respect certain legal procedures and accept that the will of the king could be bound by law.

There are a number of popular misconceptions about Magna Carta, such as that it was the first document to limit the power of an English king by law (it was not the first, and was partly based on the Charter of Liberties); that it in practice limited the power of the king (it mostly did not in the Middle Ages); and that it is a single static document (it is a variety of documents referred to under a common name).

Magna Carta was renewed throughout the Middle Ages, and further during the Tudor and Stuart periods, and the 17th and 18th centuries. By the early 19th century most clauses had been repealed from English law. The influence of Magna Carta outside England can be seen in the United States Constitution and Bill of Rights. Indeed just about every common law country with a constitution has been influenced by Magna Carta, making it one of the most important legal documents in the history of democracy.

[The above from Wikipedia]

I had the chance to visit Salisbury Cathedral last week and thought that I couldn’t miss the opportunity to see one of the four oldest remaining copies of Magna Carta. It’s no exaggeration to say that this is one of the foundations of Western democracy and because of that something that I regard as a truly sacred document. If you’re ever in the area go along and see this amazing piece of history - you can even buy a copy of it printed on a T-shirt.

5 comments:

Gerry Watt said...

It's of great significance, but to call it a foundation of Western democracy is a tad OTT, given that what it does is to allow a bunch of rich people to overrule their leader and protect their own interests.

Oh wait...

JR said...

How freaky! I was just on-line yesterday planning the things I wanted to see while I was in and around London and this was one of them. I agree with your assessment of its historical and legal importance, between two history degrees and a law degree, I've become very familiar with the Magna Carta and English Common Law.

CyberKitten said...

V V said: How freaky! I was just on-line yesterday planning the things I wanted to see while I was in and around London and this was one of them.

Salisbury is only a quick hop from London & the entrance fee is very reasonable. Be sure to tour the cathedral too, of course!

JR said...

Will do CK. I'll report back after my trip. I'll be in London from July 2nd (my birthday) until July 8th or 9th, not sure. Is there a particular day of the week that's better for visiting?

CyberKitten said...

V V asked: Is there a particular day of the week that's better for visiting?

Not that I know of. Might be best to avoid Sunday though... depending how you're travelling.