About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Just Finished Reading: The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen

This was quite an entertaining (if sometimes tedious) retelling of the Dracula story by Bram Stoker. What makes it different is the view point of the narrative – that of Count Dracula himself. Added to this interesting shift of perspective is that Dracula is portrayed as the ‘good guy’ hunted for no other reason that he is ‘different’ and therefore ‘misunderstood’ by the dangerously fanatical Professor Van Helsing.

As I said – an interesting idea which is fairly well executed. It is, however, too well known a story to produce must dramatic tension or surprise. The main characters are already known to us. We know before hand who lives and who dies and this restricts the liberties that Saberhagen can take with the story.

Certainly readable and of some interest to vampire fiction fans but hardly “the novel of the century” announced on the front cover.

3 comments:

Sadie Lou said...

Interesting. Bram Stoker's Dracula is one of my favorite reads. I love Vampire stories. Anne Rice's Interview With a Vampire is one of my all time favs.
I don't know how one can attempt to retell such a classic, as you already said, but I guess it's worth a shot?
Thanks for the head's up.

CyberKitten said...

MUCH more Vampire fiction to come. I'm a huge fan too.

There's definitely 'something' about the whole vampire thing....

Liked 'Interview' also liked 'Lestat' LOVED' 'Queen of the Damned'. Pretty good movie too... despite all the bad publicity.

Good to have you back again. Settling into your new house?

dbackdad said...

I agree on "Queen of the Damned". Underrated movie.