About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

My Favourite Music: August and Everything After by the Counting Crows

I was introduced to the Counting Crows by a good friend of mine who was going through a very emotional split with his girlfriend. We both fell in love with the sound of the lead singer’s (Adam Duritz) voice and the bands musical style. I like most types of music but I particularly like songs that tell stories – and that’s certainly a strong point of the Crows. Its actually quite difficult to get across what music is like by writing about it, you really have to listen to it. If, however, you do want to try out this band then August (their first album) is a very good place to start. Unfortunately – in a way – we enjoyed it so much that their second album Recovering the Satellites was an initial disappointment which only grew on us slowly. The follow up This Desert Life was, we thought, a return to form. Disappointingly, after seeing them perform on TV both for MTV and VH1 the follow up CDs actually cut a great deal of the between song chat that makes such programs a joy to watch and listen to. I guess I’ll have to buy the DVDs.

Being such fans my friend and I longed to see them live. So far we’ve seen them during the 2000 Glastonbury Festival where they wowed us with a wonderful but far too short set and we saw them again at the Cardiff International Arena for over two hours of fantastic entertainment. If you like mellow, thoughtful, heartfelt and beautiful music then check out the Counting Crows.

11 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

A number of years ago, the house next door to me was owned by different people than the present, and they used to rent their home for 6 months of the year to whomever they could....It became a haven for different music groups---some using the living room to rehearse in, which was horrendous for me...sib=nce it was right next to my bedroom and that BOOMING BASS would drive me nuts at 4am....BUT, one of the last groups to 'take over' the house was "Counting Crows"....they, fortunately did not use the living room to rehearse in, but a studio situation...so they were very nice neighbors...I am ashamed to say I don't know their music...I will have to take a listen on Amazon after your very wonderful review, my dear CK!

CyberKitten said...

Wow... You DO have fascinating neighbours... My frind & I would have gladdly payed good money to hang out with the Counting Crows. That is SO cool.

From what I've seen of Adam Duritz in interviews he seems like a nice guy so I'm pleased they made such considerate neighbours.

JR said...

I've only ever heard them on the radio and maybe seen a video or two on VH1. There's sounds like exactly the type of music I like. I guess I'll have to join OL and got listen to more and decide whether to purchase a CD or two. Thanks for the review!

CyberKitten said...

They remind me very much of Matchbox 20 & Dog's Eye View too....

JR said...

I love Matchbox 20! Never heard of Dog's Eye View, more to listen to on-line I suppose. :-)

CyberKitten said...

V V said: Never heard of Dog's Eye View..

I think it was one of those 'people who also bought' kind of links [grin] which can be useful - though expensive - at times.

I must post some songs on here at some point.....

dbackdad said...

A bit off-topic, but Adam Duritz managed to date both Courtney Cox and Jennifer Aniston back in the day. So he must be a fairly nice guy.

Unknown said...

Counting Crows are my favourite band (as you know) living in hope that a new album will eventually be released...

goal10der said...

Sorry I missed this post when you put it up because CC is also one of my favorite bands and August... is in my top 5 albums of all time.

I first heard them when I was in college and Mr. Jones was all the rage, but it was when I read through their lyrics that I grew to enjoy them so much. My heart skipped a little when I first heard/read the line, "And every time she sneezes, I believe it's love and ohh lord, I'm not ready for this sort of thing." -Anna Begins

CyberKitten said...

goal10der - Anna Begins is probably in my Top 10 all time favourite tunes. Great isn't it?

Michael Krahn said...

Hey,

Found you through google blog search because you mentioned Counting Crows so I assume you are a fan. I did some writing about the band recently which I’m putting up on my blog in 5 parts.

Check it out if you want to:

http://krahn.blogspot.com/