About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Vegetarianism: the Choice of the 'More Intelligent' Child

by Jeremy Laurance for the Inter Press Service

December 15, 2006

It's official - vegetarians really are smarter. But it is not because of what they eat. Bright children are more likely to reject meat and opt to become vegetarians when they grow up, a study has shown. Clever veggies are born not made. The finding helps explain how a team of vegetarians won the BBC Test the Nation competition in September, when they beat off competition from six other teams including butchers, public school pupils and footballers' wives to achieve the highest overall IQ score. The top scoring individual in the contest, Marie Bidmead, 68, a mother of five from Churcham, Gloucester, was also a vegetarian. "I think it shows we veggies are good thinkers. We think about what we eat for a start," she said.

Researchers from the University of Southampton who conducted the study agree. They suggest that vegetarians are more thoughtful about what they eat. But they say it is unclear whether bright children choose to become vegetarians for the health benefits or for other reasons, such as a concern for animals, or as a lifestyle choice. The scientists began investigating the link between IQ and vegetarianism because people with higher intelligence have a lower risk of heart disease, which has long puzzled doctors. A vegetarian diet is associated with a lower cholesterol level, lower blood pressure and less obesity - all risk factors for heart disease. The researchers wondered if this could explain the health advantage of having a high IQ. They cite Benjamin Franklin, the 18th-century statesman and scientist, who said that a vegetarian diet results in a "greater clearness of head and quicker comprehension". He may not have realised that this was because of whom was eating rather than what was eaten.

However, early last century doctors were less enamoured of the practice. Robert Hutchison told the British Medical Association in 1930: "Vegetarianism is harmless enough though it is apt to fill a man with wind and self-righteousness." The study, published in the British Medical Journal, was based on more than 8,000 people born in 1970 whose IQ was measured at age 10. Now aged 36, the researchers found 366, just under one in 20, said they were vegetarians (a third of these ate chicken or fish but none touched red meat). As well as being brighter, the vegetarians were better educated and of higher social class but the link with intelligence remained statistically significant even after adjusting for these factors. Despite their intelligence they were not wealthier and more likely to be working for charities or in education. "It may be that ethical considerations determined not just their diet but also their choice of employment," the report said.

It concludes: "Our finding that children with greater intelligence are more likely to report being vegetarian as adults, coupled with the evidence on the potential health benefits of a vegetarian diet, may help to explain why higher IQ in childhood or adolescence is linked with a reduced risk of coronary heart disease in adult life."

[Well, I was always told that I was bright as a child or “Too smart for my own good” – which is just another way of saying it really. I guess that being a veggie for…. Oh 8-9 years now is proof then…?]

19 comments:

Paste said...

Why is it when we go to a dinner party at a vegetarians house we always find that there is only vegetarian food served and yet when we invite a vegetarian to one of our dinner parties we have to provide vegetarian food in addition to what we would prepare for the other guests?

I am passionate about animal welfare but I am passionately against vegetarianism. I'd be interested, if you ever posted on the subject, to see you views.

CyberKitten said...

Thanks for you comment Dave. I've been intending to post on my veggie views for sometime now. I'll see if I can put something together this weekend.

As to your question - I've had people at my place and have been happy for them to order in meat pizza (we were *all* having take-away). I do however draw the line at actually cooking meat products in my house.

My carnivore friends are very good at providing meat free products at their BBQ's. If they didn't I either wouldn't go or I'd be reduced to eating snack food.

Maybe when I post my views you can tell me why you're "passionately against vegetarianism" - it's certainly an interesting PoV.

JR said...

I remember reading an article with my vegetarian daughter not too long ago about why children choose vegetarianism. I don't remember if it was someone's post I printed off, or if it was in the paper. Anyway, she'll be happy to know she's likely smarter. She likes to play the airhead then gets offended when people don't think she's that smart. Teenagers! As for the types of food at the different houses, I can understand vegetarians not wishing to handle or cook meat for their guests if it goes against things they believe in, whereas omnivores usually have no problem cooking whatever for their guests. I do draw the line at split pea soup however, the scent alone makes me vomit, egg salad also sets me off, but only in gagging fits. :-)

Juggling Mother said...

Vegitarians think about what they eat more...

Well, that's because you have too - if you cut out a major part of the natural diet, you have to plan your intake of what's left well or you'd starve. Lower obesity, cholesterol & heart disease maybe, but I'd be interested to see the stats on other nutritional conditions!

I wouldn't say I am passionately against vegitarianism though - if people want to they can (rather like religion *wink*). I don't see that it helps animal welfare or ethical concerns in any way tbh, but why should I care what you eat?

CyberKitten said...

JM said: if you cut out a major part of the natural diet...

But JM.. We're OMNI-vores which means that we can eat anything (once you get past the gag reflex anyway). This means that being a veggie is just as 'natural' as being a meat eater...

Not sure what the stats are on veggie nutritional issues - probably no worse than the general population....

Paste said...

I've just read my comment and the subsequent ones, I think I might have overstated it with 'passionately against' but certainly very much against. I'll try and come up with a post on the subject.

Juggling Mother said...

CK - we're OMNI-vores which means we naturally eat everything:-)

They say the reason humans evolved and apes didn't (brainwise) was due to meat/fish eating. Vegetarianism is a backwards step evolutionary speaking. Although, as I said, if you plan it properly, eat enough of the "right" veggies, you can, in the modern world, get more than sufficient nutrition. I'm too lazy, too poor and too uninterested to bother with all that. Anyway, meat is good imo.


mmmmmmmmm, bacon sarnies:-)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, steak & caramalised onions:-)

CyberKitten said...

JM said: CK - we're OMNI-vores which means we naturally eat everything:-)

Which mean we *can* eat everything.... Neither a veggie diet nor a meat based diet is any more 'natural'... and even if it is (whatever natural actually means) so what...? I've been 'odd' most of my life.. [grin].

JM said: Vegetarianism is a backwards step evolutionary speaking.

Now that's just silly... What's evolution got to do with it? Other primates eat meat & fish when they can. There are probably hundreds of reasons why we evolved into our present form... a higher meat diet *may* be one of them but I doubt that its the only reason.

Sadie Lou said...

how far do you take the veggie thing? Do you eat animal byproducts?

CyberKitten said...

Hi Sadie.

I eat eggs & drink milk. I just don't eat dead animals.

It's an emotional think rather than an intellectual one. As I said to Dave I'll put something together this weekend (probably) to try & explain my Point of View on the subject.

Paste said...

I tend to agree with Dave and JM,in the west where it is usually a personal choice rather than in say India where generally it would be for religious regions, it is often an emotional decision based on 'nice' 20/21st century squemishness. So many people today want to eat meat/fish but they sure don't want to know where it came from and ceratinly don't want it to look like any known animal. Vegetarianism is often just an extension of this rather sad inditement on today's society. JM also makes a good point that she's 'too poor to bother with all that'. Vegetarianism is so often manifested in the chattering classes and very seldom in the working class who have rather more important things on their minds.
The other thing to consider is that if we all became veggies then we'd have to slaughter millions of animals and put tens of thousands of people out of work.

Unknown said...

Protein is rather essential to good mental development and there is a link between poor diets and poor health (which can/will affect mental concentration, memory and co-ordination).

Anyway you're a vegitarian WHO DOESN'T EAT VEGTABLES! I really don't think you can describe your diet as being that healthy ;-)

Aginoth said...

If we weren't meant to eat animals why do they taste of meat?

CyberKitten said...

rca said: Anyway you're a vegitarian WHO DOESN'T EAT VEGTABLES! I really don't think you can describe your diet as being that healthy ;-)

Actually I *do* eat vegetables... just not many of them [grin]. As I've told you *many* times before... I'm a veggie because I don't eat meat... not because I eat vegetables....

Aginoth asked: If we weren't meant to eat animals why do they taste of meat?

You can eat whatever you like. Just because animals taste nice doesn't give us the right to cook and eat them - he saids with his mouth watering at the thought of crispy bacon... [rotflmao].

Paste said...

What would be a typical days food input for a Cyberkitten?

Sadie Lou said...

I like aginoth's comment because why do veggie-heads make their soy products taste like meat if we aren't supposed to eat meat? If meat was so horrible we wouldn't go to great lengths to make soy Turkey.

CyberKitten said...

dave asked: What would be a typical days food input for a Cyberkitten?

Not sure I *have* a typical day...

But I tend to eat a variety of things. Whatever takes my fancy really....

sadie asked: why do veggie-heads make their soy products taste like meat if we aren't supposed to eat meat?

Well... probably because it tastes nice. What should it taste like? Also I never said anything about the idea that "we aren't supposed to eat meat". 'We' can eat whatever we like. If other people want to eat meat that's fine with me. Just don't expect me to join you [grin].

Paste said...

Mine was a genuine question prompted by you saying that you don't eat many vegetables, so with no meat either I wondered what a day's consumption may be? I'm now none the wiser?

CyberKitten said...

uberchap said: I find it interesting why people become vegetarian.

I'll be working on something today to try and explain why I became a vegetarian. Don't expect it to be logical or coherent though - it's not.

As to 'vegetarians' who eat fish & chicken... Certainly as far as I'm concerned they're *not* vegetarians.

uberchap said: meat now is packaged in such a sanitised way giving little or no indication of its origins

That's true to an extent - but walking down the meat aisle in Sainsbury's still feels (to me) like walking through an abitoir - which is why I try not to do it too much. Seeing those hunks of meat wrapped in plastic makes me feel sick... but more of that later!