About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Even More Good Quotes

Man is the religious animal. He is the only religious animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion -— several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat, if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven. Mark Twain

My own view on religion is that of Lucretius. I regard it as a disease born of fear and as a source of untold misery to the human race. I cannot, however, deny that it has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle eclipses with such care that in time they became able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others. Bertrand Russell, Has Religion Made Useful Contributions to Civilization? (1930)

On the surface, [holy scriptures] may appear to have been composed as conscientious history. In depth they reveal themselves to have been conceived as myths: poetic readings of the mysteries of life from a certain interested point of view. But to read a poem as a chronicle of fact is -- to say the least -- to miss the point. To say a little more, it is to prove oneself a dolt. Joseph Campbell

1 comment:

dbackdad said...

I just bought Bertrand Russell's autobiography (pre- WWI). I know of his general views but have yet to read anything by him or an extensive biography of him. I do know that I usually like his quotes about religiou ... and the one you posted is no exception.