About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Friday, January 04, 2008

There but for the Grace…..

I mentioned recently that I’ve been watching My So-called Life on DVD. One episode in particular prompted a memory. In it Angela Chase’s mother Patty (played by the talented Bess Armstrong) thought she had become pregnant for the third time and confided this to her husband Graham (played by the equally talented Tom Irwin). A few days later it transpired that she was mistaken and, with more than a little relief, told her husband to stop worrying about it. He then managed clearly to convey an array of emotions including relief, disappointment and a sense of loss.

Some years ago a similar situation happened to me. My then girlfriend Carol uttered those haunting words designed to drive terror into every man alive: I’m late.

After the initial shock we both put a brave face on things and attempted as much as possible to go about our normal daily routines. Three or four days later she was delighted to tell me that the panic was over and that she’d had her period. Like Graham in My So-called Life I went through a whole range of emotions. Initially I was indeed very relieved. We were at a fairly early stage in our relationship and I don’t think that either of us was looking to have children just then – indeed Carol told me from the very start that she didn’t want children (which I thought rather strange at the time). But what surprised me was that after the relief a wave of real disappointment washed over me and for a good few weeks afterwards I felt sorry that she wasn’t actually carrying my child.

Of course if she had been pregnant our lives would have been very different than they actually turned out. I wonder sometimes what being a parent would have been like. Would I have been a good father to what by now would have been an 8 year old child? It’s actually quite weird to think about it. Imagine Cyberkitten with a kitten of his own? Too weird…. Far too weird. But there but for the grace of… Fate… I almost went.

4 comments:

craziequeen said...

hmm - ck as a parent........?

With your reputation for 'breaking' children?

[chuckle]

To be honest, I probably know you better than most - although you would have been a great dad, I don't think you would have settled into domestic bliss.......

cq

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Very interesting dilemma, dear CK....I often have wondered---if men (terrible generalization..) were honest..Would some or none or ONE, feel as you did...kind of sad or disappointed that they would not be a father?? I must say, I have never regretted NOT being a mother....It really would have been a TOTAL disaster....But it is interesting to think about, isn't it?

LOVE" MY SO CALLED LIFE"...So wonderfully written and acted and directed....A Very Special Show!

Foilwoman said...

Well, I think it's a reminder of how little control we have, even with all the people who can think we can have kids on demand. I didn't get pregnant with DestructoGirl until after my marriage was in trouble. She's a gift and a joy, but that was a very conflicted realization, that the reason I'd been tired beyond belief for two months wasn't just that my-now-ex was driving me batty.

CyberKitten said...

CQ said: With your reputation for 'breaking' children?

True. But I haven't made a child cry or drawn blood for quite a while now.

CQ said: To be honest, I probably know you better than most - although you would have been a great dad, I don't think you would have settled into domestic bliss.......

I *am* pretty much set in my ways as a batchelor but I agree that domestic bliss and me aren't really likely. I definitely enjoy me freedom far too much for that!

Naomi said: I have never regretted NOT being a mother....

Regrets are terrible things. I do wonder from time to time about being a father but I don't regret not having children. They are a *huge* responsibility and I'm not a big fan of being responsible - at least not for other people. I think that fatherhood would have been a very hard lesson for me.

Naomi said: LOVE" MY SO CALLED LIFE"...So wonderfully written and acted and directed....A Very Special Show!

It was fantastic wasn't it. Such a shame they only made 19 episodes.

FW said: Well, I think it's a reminder of how little control we have, even with all the people who can think we can have kids on demand.

Hey, FW great to 'see' you here! I hope you and the girls had a great Christmas and have a wonderful 2008.

I think that we actually have very little control over things that happen to us. We can plan all we want but it doesn't mean that things will go our way. People who think that they can control events or even try to (too much) will always be disapointed. The trick is being prepared to role with the punches or as my brother is constantly saying 'Bend like the Willow'.