About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, January 14, 2008

To Coin a Phrase

One of the things that interest me (sad I know) is the origin of words and phrases. I do sometimes hear or even use phrases and find myself wondering where they come from. One I have used down the years is “To give someone the whole nine yards”. Sometimes I’ve heard a variation on this of “Going the whole nine yards”. Initially I thought that this sounds like a term used in sport – maybe golf or even American football. Then some years ago I discovered that its origins are quite different.

Apparently the phrase “Give ‘em the whole nine yards” comes from the First World War. Back in those days the weapon of mass destruction was the belt fed machine gun used by both sides to deadly effect. The ammunition belts came in, you guessed it, 27 feet lengths – nine yards. So when the shout went out to give ‘em (the enemy that is) the ‘whole nine yards’ it basically meant don’t stop firing until you run out of ammunition.

Today it more usually means tell someone everything you know – give ‘em everything.

Interesting eh?

6 comments:

Antimatter said...

According to the Wikipedia article there's some doubt as to the actual authenticity of the phrase, though the machine gun ammo belt is apparently the most popular explanation.

I also thought it was based on something from American football (though I'd wager American football fans would probably wonder why anyone would have such a notion)... just goes to show!

Gorilla Bananas said...

I'm just glad it's nothing to do with blue whales mating.

tshsmom said...

Vancouver Voyeur asked me to tell you that she had to delete her blog. She'll start a new blog soon and will get back in touch.

CyberKitten said...

I was wondering where she went. Thanks for the update.

JR said...

Here I am! Cool bit of trivia for a history nerd like me. I'll have to use that in class this semester. Follow me to my new blog. I'm still building it. Blogger doesn't allow as much freedom in editing the template as they used to, so somewhere down the line I'll probably change it. It will have to do for now.

Tommykey said...

I had thought it was a football reference too.

It's funny though how so much gun terminology has made its way into our language.

Keep your powder dry.
Lock, stock and barrel.
Don't go off half cocked.