About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Just Finished Reading: Basic Flying Instruction – A Comprehensive Introduction to Western Philosophy by Charles Gidley Wheeler

I hardly know where to start in describing this book except maybe to begin by calling it a chaotic mess. Moving from historical periods, to schools of thought to individual topics and back again in a seemingly random manner this somewhat less than comprehensive book (at less that 200 pages long it hardly did credit to over 2000 years of Western Philosophy) would be more likely to dissuade the general reader from studying philosophy further rather than the reverse. Parts of it I found rather hard going – his section on Logic felt interminable – others I found surprisingly sparse, in particular his section on Nietzsche which consisted of 4-5 large quotes and a brief mention of his sister.

Needless to say I was less than impressed with what I had hoped to be a useful introduction to what is still a comparatively new subject to me. Not recommended even (or especially) for the first time reader on the subject though it did prompt me to find out more about Martin Heidegger so maybe it wasn’t a total loss.

No comments: