About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Just Finished Reading: On the Prowl by Patricia Briggs, Eileen Wilks, Karen Chance and Sunny

More tales of things that go bump in the night and bump in the bedroom. There seems to be a large and growing market for supernatural stories of often supernatural heroines fighting the good fight to keep the world demon free – or at least to keep them down to manageable levels.

The four novellas in this volume where of varying quality. Alpha and Omega by Pat Briggs was a tale of werewolf love and was pretty well written. It also introduced the new idea (at least to me) of the Omega wolf. Inhuman by Eileen Wilks was very good and took place in a near future world where magic has returned due to a shift in the Realms. Well written with lots of interesting ideas. I’ll be looking out for more of her work. Buying Trouble by Karen Chance was irritatingly tongue in cheek and was (I can only assume) supposed to be funny. It wasn’t really. I hope this isn’t a typical example of her work as I have two of her novels yet to read. Lastly Mona Lisa Betwining by Sunny was a rather run-of-the-mill variation of the werewolf tale with demons thrown in for good measure. A reasonable way to be introduced to the sub-genre but on the whole not very good.

No comments: