About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Friday, June 20, 2008

I've been Tagged....

... by Stardust over @ Stardust Musings. Here's my response.

Q1. How would you define “atheism”?

Basically a lack of belief in the existence of God. Some people go further and actually dispute His existence – as I do myself from time to time – but it’s a much harder position to hold and defend. Atheism is a sceptical response to the God question. Nothing more.

Q2. Was your upbringing religious? If so, what tradition?

My parents are (or where in my Dads case) Catholics – at least nominally. I was baptised into the faith so basically if Heaven does exist I’m a shoe-in as long as I die in a state of grace. Saying that, neither of my parents has ever professed any faith position as far as I know. I had little exposure to religion in general or Catholicism in particular during my childhood. Indeed my parents insisted that I attend CofE schools (Protestant) rather than the Catholic equivalent – for which I will be eternally grateful.

Q3. How would you describe “Intelligent Design”, using only one word?

Laughable.

Q4. What scientific endeavour really excites you?

Science in general excites me. But in particular there’s Space exploration (not enough of that going on), AI & Robotics, Genetic engineering, and Alternative power sources.

Q5. If you could change one thing about the “atheist community”, what would it be and why?

I don’t think that there is an ‘atheist community’ at least not on this side of The Pond. Over here, as far as I can tell, people are either Agnostic, Atheists or completely indifferent to Religion. Very few people I know profess to have any religious faith. I don’t think we atheists need a community being by nature rather individualistic.

Q6. If your child came up to you and said “I’m joining the clergy”, what would be your first response?

Laughter – assuming that s/he was winding her old man up…


Q7. What’s your favourite theistic argument, and how do you usually refute it?

I like the classic – “Where do morals come from”? – as if we don’t have thousands of years of cultural history behind us! Morality, I tell theists, is a cultural construct that has developed in particular places over long periods of time. This culture is passed on to new members of that society in the same way all other such constructs are. This is why morality varies with time and between cultures. There is no objective morality. My own morals are an amalgam of my culture, my upbringing, my schooling, my peer group, my life experience and my genes.


Q8. What’s your most “controversial” (as far as general attitudes amongst other atheists goes) viewpoint?

I’m not sure if there are ‘general attitudes amongst atheists’. Anyway, I am anti-monarchist and think we should become a Republic, that the State should have nothing whatsoever to do with Religion and that people should have to pass some kind of test before they are allowed to have children…. Have I reached ‘controversial yet?


Q9. Of the “Four Horsemen” (Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens and Harris) who is your favourite, and why?

I like Dawkins very much though I found The God Delusion rather boring, I find Dennett difficult to read though he speaks well, I don’t like Hitchens as a person but he does write well and I enjoyed Harris’s book The End of Faith. I’d have to go with Dawkins – but only for his Evolution books.


Q10. If you could convince just one theistic person to abandon their beliefs, who would it be?

I’m not in the business of de-converting anyone. If someone loses their faith because of debating with me I’d think that their faith was pretty weak to begin with. I’m not even sure if it’s at all possible to convince anyone that their faith position is wrong. Faith is not amenable to reason. If it was there would be a lot more atheists about I’m sure.

2 comments:

dbackdad said...

" ... I am anti-monarchist and think we should become a Republic, that the State should have nothing whatsoever to do with Religion ... " -- Sometimes, I think your monarchy is more democratic than our Republic. And our State sure has too much to do with religion. Ironic.

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: Sometimes, I think your monarchy is more democratic than our Republic.

Well, we're a constitutional monarchy, which basically means that the Queen is more of a figure-head than anything else. She hasn't got any *real* power. She's pretty much ceremonial.

dbackdad said: And our State sure has too much to do with religion.

It's surprising just how much relgion prevades our system - and yet we're one of the most secular countries on Earth. Maybe it's because of our long and bloody history... maybe its because the Church of England no longer really believes in God. [laughs]