About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Just Finished Reading: Beachheads in Space edited by August Derleth

This was a collection of short SF stories from 1950-1952. What actually surprised me most about these stories was that they where almost without exception rather downbeat and depressing. I hadn’t actually read stories from this era for a while so it came as a bit of a shock. I would have thought that the 50’s was a time of optimism and hope after the depredations of World War 2. Apparently not – or at least according to this collection. One story in particular stuck in my mind. This was ‘The Years draw Nigh’ by Lester del Rey in which 40 starships have been sent out to explore the Galaxy looking for life and habitable planets to colonise. At the beginning of the story 39 had returned empty handed. Starship 40 is years overdue and presumed lost but finally returns with a story of mechanical failure and heroic repair efforts on a dead world. But the news they carry proves to be devastating - not a single habitable world discovered in years of searching. On receipt of this news Earth pulls back from further endeavour and continues its slide into hopelessness. All very depressing I can tell you! Only one for major fans of the era or maybe if you’re writing a paper on the cultural tenor of early 50’s America.

3 comments:

dbackdad said...

Very interesting. I haven't read really old SF for awhile. Most of my early education was in this era's sci-fi (Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke).

CyberKitten said...

Well Asimov was writing in the 1930's (his first story was published in 1939), Heinlein in the 40's onwards (again his first published story was in 1939) & Clarke from the 50's I think.

It's a while since I cut my teeth on the greats. I spent most of my 20's reading the SF classics by these and other authors - which is why you tend not to see their names here very often. Been there, done that... [grin] Heinlein was always one of my favourites - despite his political beliefs.

Growing up with SF I really think it hit its stride in the 1980's which is why I think I much prefer modern authors.

dbackdad said...

"Heinlein was always one of my favourites - despite his political beliefs" - Me too. I didn't really think about politics a lot back then and probably didn't even realize that he might have been trying to convey any particular idealogy. I'm sure it would be obvious to me now if I re-read them.