About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, October 06, 2008

My Favourite Movies: The Driver

Despite never having owned a car nor really driven one and, unlike my brother, not being a petrol head I must admit to loving a good car chase film. As case in point is the 1978 release of the Film Noir like The Driver starring (rather oddly in my opinion) Ryan O’Neal as the eponymous anti-hero, Isabelle Adjani (pictured above) as the love interest and Bruce Dern as the cop out to stop him. The storyline – such as it is - is very simple indeed. The Driver drives for a percentage of the take on a heist, he’s very good at his job and has never been caught. The Cop wants to make his career by catching him in the act and will use any method – including blackmail and intimidation – to do so. The girl (AKA The Player) is little more than eye candy overall but is used by both Dern and O’Neal in different ways.

Apart from the quite superb car chases – and the demonstration of the Divers skills in an underground car park – what stands out for me in this movie was the character played by O’Neal. He was basically dead inside – for reasons unexplained – which enabled he to drive with apparent reckless abandon. A case in point was where he ‘played chicken’ with two police cars approaching at high speed. Clearly unconcerned about his own safety he forced the police to swerve at the last moment ensuring his escape. From his expression throughout I doubt if his heart rate went up much at all. But what really defined this film was, of course, the adrenalin fuelled chases through an unnamed darkened cityscape. They are some of the best I’ve seen and seemed to have been a particular expression of late 70’s cop movies. Of the many I saw in these my formative years the ones in The Driver are definitely amongst the best.

5 comments:

wstachour said...

Never seen it. Actually, never even heard of it!

There are a couple of spectacular car chases in John Frankenheimer's "Ronin," which are worth the price of admission on their own. The rest of the film is pretty good too, though there are power-tooley moments as in others of Frankenheimer's films I've seen.

Still, I recommend!

CyberKitten said...

wunelle said: Never seen it. Actually, never even heard of it!

[laughs] I didn't think it was all that obscure. I mean.. it's got Ryan O'Neal in it [grin]

wunelle said: There are a couple of spectacular car chases in John Frankenheimer's "Ronin," which are worth the price of admission on their own.

I saw that again a few weeks ago and contemplated adding it to my favourite movies list. It didn't make the cut though. As you say great car chases and the rest of it is pretty good... but it didn't have that special something to make it onto my list.

Thomas Fummo said...

Ryan O' Neal?

*was born too late, maybe?*

this may be a joke or it may not.
even I don't know.

Karla said...

I haven't heard of that movie either. Just the same, I wanted to drop by and let you know I appreciate your comments on my blogspot and I am glad you have a desire to know things and to ask questions.

CyberKitten said...

I didn't realise that this movie was so obscure [laughs]

karla said: Just the same, I wanted to drop by and let you know I appreciate your comments on my blogspot...

Not a problem. I enjoy conversations about religion. As long as things continue in a polite fashion I'll keep debating with you [grin]

karla said: I am glad you have a desire to know things and to ask questions.

It's the way I'm wired. I've been asking annoying questions and been searching for answers since my early teens. Just don't expect me to find out that the answer is God. The odds of that are rather slim...

BTW - I don't post on religious issues often here but its possible that you might find something else of interest. I have a butterfly mind so you'll find a wide variety of stuff being posted here.