About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Thinking About: Reading Science-Fiction

I’ve been reading SF now for about 35 years. I was introduced to it by a friend of my brother who leant me a few battered copies of E E ‘Doc’ Smiths space opera series. I still remember the rush of reading 40’s pulp SF. It was and remains to this day my mind expanding drug of choice.

I definitely had a good start and a better grounding reading classics such as 1984, Dune, I, Robot, A Fall of Moondust, Rendezvous with Rama, The Deathworld Trilogy, Slan, Foundation and much else besides throughout my teenage years. I read voraciously anything by Clarke, Asimov, Herbert, Simak, Heinlein, Harrison, Moorcock, Pohl, Shaw, Farmer, Vogt, Blish, Cooper, Wyndham, Anderson, Burroughs, Dick and on and on. Part of this was fed, guided and encouraged by one of my Maths teachers who recognised in me a huge fan of the genre. We made a pact. He would lend me a book if I leant him one. Of course it was a ruse – to get me buying SF for myself. I seriously doubt looking back if I’d lent him a single book he hadn’t already read or had no intention of reading. But it certainly worked. I started my obsession with all things Scinence-Fiction. 35 years later I have no idea how much SF I have held in my hands and passed through my brain. Lots – I know that much. I have at least 6 floor to ceiling bookshelves jam-packed with SF/Fantasy books and many more scattered around the house waiting to be read. I estimate that I must have read something approaching two thousand SF novels and I still have most of them providing expensive insulation in my library like home.

But how, you might be asking yourselves, can anyone read so much from such a narrow genre. Firstly – as you will have seen here – I no longer read SF exclusively of anything else (indeed I’ve always read other things) and find that I also enjoy Thrillers, Spy novels, Historical novels, War novels and even occasionally main-stream books too. But I always return to SF for the simple reason that it is anything but a narrow genre. SF has the whole Universe to work in and the whole of time to base its plots. The scale of the tale can also vary enormously from a single room, to a generation ship making its way between the stars to a galaxy spanning history of civilisation itself. It can be technical enough to warm the heart of any kind of Geek or can explore societies in alien environments or alien civilisations themselves. Such tales have always fascinated me and I always relish losing myself in an alien city full of exotic sights and sounds. SF can be full of robots, monsters, star-ships and the fizz of ray-gun fire but it is often far more sophisticated than TV or Movie SF would suggest. It can chill the heart or quicken the blood and the best of it can thrill like nothing else I have experienced. It is the ever present thrill of the yet to be discovered, the thrill of the possible and the thrill of what might be just around the corner. Quite simply I love SF above all else and if I live that long will probably be reading it in another 35 years – though by then this increasingly SF-like world might make it like watching the nightly news, though hopefully a little less dramatic at times!

9 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I grew up reading Sc-Fi and Fantasy. I too loved the pulp stuff I read, Burroughs' John Carter of mars and Howard's Conan being two of my favorites.

I used to be a voracious reader, but as the years have gone by I've done much less reading than I would like.

CyberKitten said...

Oh, I *loved* the Conan stories. i read most of them in my 20's. Much darker than the movie versions. I guess that they had to tone them down a bit [grin]

Make a choice to read more Mike. Even ten minutes extra here & there all add up.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Last weekend it was warm enough to sit on the sun porch, so I did read some of Watchmen. It was a nice change of pace.

Karla said...

I started reading Star Trek books in my teen years. I have read probably 300 or more. I started to slow down on them while in college and started branching out to reading a variety of things and more and more started reading less fiction and more non-fiction. I've haven't read a Star Trek book in a good many years, though I still have a large collection and I'm sure I'll read some again. I have also read a few HG Wells and enjoyed those. Have you ever read the C.S. Lewis' Sci Fi trilogy? I found them intriguing.

I have resumed fiction reading along side the non-fiction, but my favorite fiction books lately have been historical fiction. I still enjoy good sci fi movies.

Karla said...

Oh, I do enjoy fantasy too like The Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia.

CyberKitten said...

Mike said: Last weekend it was warm enough to sit on the sun porch, so I did read some of Watchmen.

A few of my friends are 'comic people' and have tried to get me interested but it just didn't take. Not really my thing, though I can appreciate the artwork.

karla said: I started reading Star Trek books in my teen years. I have read probably 300 or more.

Not my thing really either I'm afraid - the TV shows were OK but often lacked enough 'grit'. I've often thought that it wasn't a world that I'd like to live in (in many ways) as it came across as pretty boring.

karla said: I have also read a few HG Wells and enjoyed those.

Wells is very good. I particularly enjoyed 'War of the Worlds' and 'Time Machine'. I'd really like to see a *proper* movie adaptation of WotW.

karla said: Have you ever read the C.S. Lewis' Sci Fi trilogy? I found them intriguing.

No. I've heard of them but haven't read them. In fact I don't think I've read *any* Lewis....

karla said: I have resumed fiction reading along side the non-fiction, but my favorite fiction books lately have been historical fiction.

I've just finished some historical fiction which I enjoyed a great deal I'm really getting into it ATM. Much more to follow.

karla said: I still enjoy good sci fi movies.

I find that even the best ones aren't as good as the books - though some of them have been pretty good.

karla said: Oh, I do enjoy fantasy too like The Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia.

Its very rare that I read that type of fantasy - I guess that I find it too... fantastic... for my liking [grin]. The fantasy I do read tends to be modern urban fantasy with sassy female characters - something the old style of fantasy really couldn't handle. I did enjoy LotR though - it's one of the few (sets of) books I've read more than once, the other being the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy which I think are probably the best fantasy stories I've ever read. I've never read the Narnia stories and if the movies are anything to go by never will. The first one was pretty good - if a bit weak - but Caspian was very bad. If I was in his army I'd have shot him in the back for incompetence. Luckily for him his opponents obviously knew little about effective tactics either...

dbackdad said...

Great post. Sprinkle in some Niven with the authors you already mentioned and you've you could have described my sci-fi reading for the last 30 years.

Probably the ones that I was most voracious about were Heinlein, Herbert, Clarke and Asimov. I know for a fact that there are no stories written before 1980 by those authors that I have not read.

In high school, I always finished my homework assignments in class so that I could start reading some paperback before class was over. My teachers really didn't care because I was getting straight A's.

All the sci-fi books I read then were paperbacks and I've lost track of most of them. In the last 5 years, I don't really buy anything but hardback and have been concentrating more on authors like Gibson, Stephenson, Gaiman, etc. But after reading the Brian Herbert stuff I mentioned, I'm having a hankering to dip back into the world of my youth. I just picked up a hardbound Heinlein compilation at a garage sale that has Have Space Suit - Will Travel, Starship Troopers, and Podkayne of Mars. It's been over 25 years since I've read those stories.

I completely agree that sci-fi is not a narrow genre at all. I think it has the most variety because it really isn't limited by place, time, or even by the characters needing to be human. Every other genre can be included in a sci-fi book.

Karla said...

I've read Time Machine and The Invisible Man. I didn't care for the War of The World's movie.

Prince Caspian was nothing like the book. It left out all my favorite parts of the book. The first movie was much closer to the book, but the book is always better.

For your taste I would recommend Lewis' Scifi series. Perelandra, Out of the Silent Planet and I don't remember the third title.

Lord of the Rings is certainly a classic and I love the writing style. It was very well done. I've only read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings once, but I plan to reread them again. The movies were awesome.

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: Sprinkle in some Niven with the authors you already mentioned and you've you could have described my sci-fi reading for the last 30 years.

Oh, I've read *lots* of Niven & Pournelle too.... I think that I have a whole shelf of their stuff.

dbackdad said: Probably the ones that I was most voracious about were Heinlein, Herbert, Clarke and Asimov.

Me too. I've probably just about read everything those guys have written.

dbackdad said: I just picked up a hardbound Heinlein compilation at a garage sale that has Have Space Suit - Will Travel, Starship Troopers, and Podkayne of Mars. It's been over 25 years since I've read those stories.

I was a huge Heinlein fan. Haven't read any of his stuff for ages though.

dbackdad said: Every other genre can be included in a sci-fi book.

I've heard that said before & won't disagree with you. With SF the sky is not the limit.

karla said: I've read Time Machine and The Invisible Man. I didn't care for the War of The World's movie.

The WotW is a *much* better book than the two films make out.

karla said: For your taste I would recommend Lewis' Scifi series. Perelandra, Out of the Silent Planet and I don't remember the third title.

It's unlikely that I'll ever read them - but you never can tell.

karla said: Lord of the Rings is certainly a classic and I love the writing style. It was very well done. I've only read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings once, but I plan to reread them again. The movies were awesome.

I enjoyed both the books and the movies. They're certainly very rich naratives but can drag a bit in places. They're certainly some of the best books I've ever read.