About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Just Finished Reading: The Dragons of Eden – Speculations on the Evolution of Intelligence by Carl Sagan

I’ve seen Carl Sagan many times on TV but have never read any of his books. This, I thought, was an ideal way to start. Sagan begins with a brief discussion of deep time comparing, the age of the Earth to a single day. We are, he states, a very new kid on the block. Over geological time he shows how brain size, both in absolute terms and in relation to body mass, has tended to increase and also how the brain has developed with the addition of layers on top of existing earlier brain types. This is very important in explaining why we do the things we do and behave in ways that we do. Earlier brains are not ditched by evolution and replaced by better ones. Evolution provides us with upgrades built upon existing older foundations. This, Sagan uses, to explain not only our emotions but also our dreams.

Sagan provides many examples, and quite a few entertaining diversions along the way, to explain how we arrived at our understanding of brain function. Of course this book was published in 1977 so some things have moved on quite a bit since then. Some of his speculations – from what happened to the dinosaurs to the future of computer technology have proven to be very wide of the mark. Such is the pleasure, at least for me, of reading old books about science and technology. As far as I can tell, not being a biologist, his knowledge of brain functions and brain evolution is sound. This is one of the few recent books I’ve read on the subject – having been rather neglectful of my science education of late. However, I will be addressing that deficit (in spades) over the coming year.

Overall I found this book an easy read and a fairly gentle re-introduction to the subject. For anyone approaching evolution for the first time or after a long break this is a good book to ease yourself into things. But you should always be aware that this is only one slice of the cake and a rather out of date one at that. Use it as a springboard to other works that will both deepen and broaden your knowledge. I know that I’m going to do just that. Recommended.

21 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Thanks for the review. This one is on my shelf waiting to be read.

CyberKitten said...

I'd be interested to know what you think of it. Whilst it didn't exactly rock my world it was certainly interesting enough to look forward to reading the next bit.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Sadly, my books gather dust. I need to lock up my video games. I'm currently having much fun playing Demon's Souls on the PS3.

CyberKitten said...

I restrict myself to 2 hours a day (weekdays). I normally play co-op and have to resist the pull of my friends who tend to play a lot more than me. Fortunately I like books more that I like gaming [grin]. Just..... [laughs]

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I need to restrict myself too.

CyberKitten said...

Gaming and restriction are difficult bed-fellows. It's a constant pull towards my PC like gravity, it really is.

BTW - I think you'll definitely like some of my gaming related 'motivational' posters I have coming up. They certainly spoke to my gaming personality!

Oh, and I saw a great comment (maybe on a T-shirt). It said:

"I don't need to get a life. I'm a Gamer. I have lots of lives."

[rotflmao]

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

One problem I have is that many times when I read I fall asleep.

CyberKitten said...

I often start yawning as soon as I pick up a book in the evening. I'm just too tired to read most nights.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I'm not alone! Yay! :-)

dbackdad said...

I have this book as well (haven't read). I like Sagan a lot and have read The Demon Haunted World ..., which is very good.

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad - I was actually prompted to get this partially because of your library thing [grin].

I tried to get 'Demon Haunted World' but its out of print.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Demon Haunted World is sitting on my shelf too.

CyberKitten said...

I know how you feel Mike. I'm *surrounded* by books in my house. I'm hoping I'll be able to read most of them before I'm food for worms (or more likely smoke & ash).

So many books.... so little time.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

So far no luck on limiting video game play. This one is one of those that I think about for most of the day till I can get home and play it. Maybe once I stop obsessing over it.

CyberKitten said...

Oh, I've *definitely* had games like that [grin]

There's a group of us at work - well, I used to work with them - who play on-line together. It's lots of fun like that. These days its mostly WW2 or modern combat games either RTS of FPS. No doubt we'll be playing the new COD game when it comes out shortly.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I like first person shooters, but have never enjoyed the real life based ones. I prefer sci-fi/fanatasy based ones.

Laughing Boy said...

Do you have any Steven Pinker on your shelf, CK?

dbackdad said...

Pinker is very good. I have the Blank Slate and the Language Instince, and read the latter of the two.

dbackdad said...

That's "instinct", not "instince". My sausage fingers are not exactly gliding over the keyboard.

CyberKitten said...

LB said: Do you have any Steven Pinker on your shelf, CK?

Not that I know of. Why? Do you recommend him?

Laughing Boy said...

He has more expertise in the subject than Sagan and is an engaging writer.