About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Just Finished Reading: Schopenhauer – A Very Short Introduction

As with most of the philosophers I read about in this excellent VSI series I’d heard of Schopenhauer before and knew a little about his ideas. This book certainly filled in a lot of the blanks in my knowledge, though still only really managed to scratch the surface of his work.

Like other German philosophers of the 19th Century, Schopenhauer thought long and very hard about the difference between appearance and reality. To be honest the whole idea kind of leaves me cold and I ploughed my way through the first few chapters on this subject – well told that they were – with slightly gritted teeth. I did find his idea of embodiment and the Will as somewhat more interesting, especially as it seemed to foreshadow much of Nietzsche’s work. It is also interesting, especially taking the times into account, that Schopenhauer wrote on sex and sexuality appearing to ‘discover’ the unconscious some years before Freud brought it to prominence. What interested me most, as it has long been a particular focus of my philosophical readings, were his ideas on Ethics which seemed to me rather Stoical. It is something that I will try to follow up at some point.

While this small volume didn’t exactly set my world on fire, it did pique my interest in Schopenhauer enough to want to know more about his ideas. In that sense this book did its job. Some of the arguments I did find a little too dense for my brain to get around but, it would seem, that’s the German philosophers for you. To be honest, from what I’ve read I still far prefer the French way of things – with the possible exception of Nietzsche who I’m still struggling with. I can kind of recommend this book if you want to bend your mind more than a little. If I read anything better on him I’ll be sure to let you know.

3 comments:

VV said...

You're a better person than me. I can't even get through light reading these days without falling asleep after one paragraph, I can't even imagine tackling something of this density.

CyberKitten said...

I am struggling ATM in the evenings to read very much. Like you I'm just too damned tired.

Most of my 'heavy lifting' literature wise is read @ the weekend.

VV said...

I just turned in my grades this afternoon. Woo-hoo!! Now I can begin reading books for a new course I will be teaching in the Fall on American History, a survey class from Reconstruction to the Cold War, or as far as I can get. I have assigned a number of books, two in particular other faculty and students alike have praised highly, so I'm anxious to get started on them: _The Things They Carried_ by Tim O'Brien on Vietnam, and _Coming of Age in Mississippi_ by Anne Moody. I'll let you know if the praise I've heard is well-earned.