About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Thinking About: Attraction

I have a somewhat deserved reputation of being picky, indeed overly picky, when it comes to potential partners. My reply to this is that I have standards and that my standards are more important than the possibility of a quick grope or an orgasm with someone I neither know nor even like. Contrary to my pickiness is that fact that I don’t believe that I have a definite ‘type’ that I prefer over all others. OK, I have a strange ‘thing’ about red-heads, but I wouldn’t call that an actual type. To be honest the lack of type is probably to do with the fact that I’m far more interested in the person themselves rather than the body they happen to occupy. I am attracted to, and fall in love with, personalities not bodies. What I have found, and I’m sure that I’m not alone in this, is that a person becomes more physically attractive the more you become emotionally attached to them. It’s certainly true for me. No doubt we’ve all known someone with a partner we can’t understand them being with. Love, or at least a healthy dose of affection, is the reason. Love isn’t exactly blind but it does alter reality around the lovers. When you fall out of love (or lust which is a close relative thereof) you exclaim “What did I possibly see in that person?” It’s because you’re no seeing them at ‘reality warp 5’. When a friend says to you in all honesty that someone is bad for you or just not for you it’s because they are literally not ‘seeing’ the same person that you are.

Of course even the fact that I know what’s going on in my head doesn’t stop me being attracted to unsuitable or unobtainable people. Been there, done that, bought several T-shirts. My much valued rationality doesn’t even get a look in when I go over the deep end about someone. Luckily though, I have, through repeated painful experiences as well as just a hint of maturity, stopped following the object of my affection around like a lost puppy. I’ve also managed to cut down on the sighing and the pointless romantic gestures. These days if my attraction is reciprocated I virtually need to be hit over the head by a prospective partner to make any kind of move. I am, all too often, the last to know that I’m about the get lucky.

Being the person that I am, I have a natural tendency to talk during sex. I don’t mean anything as crass as talking ‘dirty’ but actual conversations which, I have been told, is highly amusing if somewhat irritating from time to time. Rather inevitably I was explaining my thinking on the subject with my ex. I explained that I was making love to her, handily (lightly) tapping her on the forehead with my free hand, only I was doing so through her body. She seemed to get the idea and, as far as I could tell, appreciate the fact. Short of being telepathic it’s probably the closest we get to the merging of two personalities. It’s just a pity sometimes (from my perspective at least) that there’s flesh getting in the way. I don’t think that I’m particularly odd in being more attracted to minds than I am to bodies, though it does seem that bodies are a much higher priority to most people. When a friend points out a particularly attractive woman I might not even raise my head and look (which sometimes results in some rather strange criticisms and might be a component in some people thinking that I’m gay) but generally I can’t see the point. Beautiful women are everywhere. If I want to see an endless parade of them all that I need to do is turn on my television. What interests me are beautiful minds which are rather harder to see and consequently harder to find.

5 comments:

VV said...

I don't know if you're odd, or rare, but I do know, you're certainly not alone. I've had relationships with everyone from models, to a bizarrely misshapen fellow who no one could understand what I saw in him. I also am attracted to the personality, not the package. Indeed, the personality is what first attracted me to my current partner, M. It's also what still keeps me enthralled. The way I see it, beauty is superficial and fades, what I really want to know is can you hold your own in a conversation with me? Are you funny or will you bore me to tears? Are you a decent, compassionate human being, or will I someday feel ashamed to be with you? That's what it always comes down to with me. Everyone I've ever broken up with has been because of their true natures, which often only get revealed over time. I never dumped anyone because they weren't "pretty" enough.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
wstachour said...

I'm like you to a degree in that the brain is, for me, much the sexiest part.

But we're drawn to bodies because, simply put, our procreation must necessarily be motivated from a level beneath our cognition and / or volition. If we had to understand or approve as prerequisites for species survival we would none of us be here. So we respond to visual cues of fertility and health and genetic stock.

(Not that you didn't know this, but it seemed apropos.)

(WV: "cursings")

Sleepypete said...

Gotta be an "interesting" person for me to think about getting to know someone. If they can't keep up with me, then I lose the interest very quickly. Like all the ones you see showing off their attributes, if they're the intellectual equivalent of knuckle draggers, we see that very quickly and lose interest.

There's one person I know who is drop dead gorgeous ... but she can't keep up when I try and keep a conversation going. (think "sweet & innocent")

2 Heinleinisms - 1 related and 1, well :

1st - A man does not insist on physical beauty in a woman who builds up his morale. After a while he realizes that she is beautiful - he just hadn't noticed it at first.
2nd - Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat.

CyberKitten said...

v v said: I don't know if you're odd, or rare, but I do know, you're certainly not alone.

Being unique does have its downside - no one understands you. [grin]

wunelle said: (Not that you didn't know this, but it seemed apropos.)

Indeed. I am not complete immune to physical attraction (though find it somewhat less compelling/distracting these days) but I do think that personality is the most important thing.

sleepy p quoted: A man does not insist on physical beauty in a woman who builds up his morale. After a while he realizes that she is beautiful - he just hadn't noticed it at first.

Most definitely true.