About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, December 06, 2010

Thinking About: Being Different



I think that I’ve known I’m different from a very early age. It became pretty obvious that I don’t think like or think about things the way most other people do. People seem to be constantly amazed, confused and, to be honest sometimes horrified, by what comes out of my mouth. Back before I learnt restraint I’d just say the first thing that came into my head which surprisingly didn’t get me into much more trouble than it actually did. After a couple of tense exchanges though I have imposed some self censorship and, on the whole, think about the consequences before I open my mouth.


But speaking my (at least to others) incomprehensible mind is only part of it. People have found almost everything about me worthy of criticism – and not just random strangers either. If I was a weaker person the constant criticism I have received from both friends and family would have reduced me to being a nervous wreck. The main focus of the needling is, rather inevitably, the books I read – or even the fact that I read so much of anything. I have lost count of the number of times I have heard “always got his head in a book” whenever I’m mentioned in conversation. Of course the fact that I read SF and Fantasy novels has come in for particular criticism – probably because I enjoy them so much. They are however “escapist” so have an immediate black mark against them. But it’s not only books. I have been advised to change my friends, my hairstyle(s), my clothes, my job, my house, the city I live in and so it goes on. It seems that my life would only be complete if I was more like the person giving me their ‘advice’. Stubbornly, however, I remain me – regardless of the consequences.


The consequences of being slightly ‘odd’ or ‘different’ are generally the negative effects it has on relationships. I have few friends for instance, most of whom are in the ‘odd’ or ‘different’ category – birds of a feather and all that. But because so few people ‘get’ me the pool of potential partners is a small one indeed. This is one of the reasons why I’ve spent most of my post-pubescent life on my own. In my youth I couldn’t understand what was wrong with other people, why they couldn’t see the real me. I learnt, somewhat to my shock and surprise, that the ‘problem’ wasn’t with them but with me. Other people had little problem forming relationships both of the short and long term variety whereas I often didn’t get past the first awkward moment which, being me, came fairly early. There’s an Alanis Morrisette song where she says something along the lines “what I’d give for a kindred”. I know exactly how that feels. In the 40 or so years of looking I’ve yet to meet anyone quite like me – never mind a female version! I’ve known some people who shared some of my interests, I’ve met people as smart as or even smarter than me (indeed on my last MA course I met some frighteningly smart people). But I’ve never really met a kindred spirit, no one who ‘got’ me most of the time never mind all of the time.


I think that mostly I’m tolerated by what I call ‘normal’ people. I’ll do something or say something and either their eyes will glaze over or they’ll roll their eyes and mouth ‘typical’ under their breaths. Sometimes I’m amusing in this way and sometimes I impress people by seeing links, connections, between things that no one else saw. But mostly I’m ignored or, even worse, expected to ‘perform’ on command. At least that’s what it feels like. Don’t get me wrong though. People, generally, like me. Most people anyway. Some hate me – I kid you not. Maybe they see me as some kind of threat or something. It’s quite bizarre but I do have fun ripping them a new one whenever we clash. Being fairly bright, witty and fast on my mental feet I can normally reduce them to laughingstocks before they realise what has happened.


Of course one way out of all this is to pretend to be normal. I do that already to some extent in order to ‘fit in’ to society. Actually becoming completely normal though would take a great deal of time, energy and effort, little of which I am prepared to waste on what I see is a pre-doomed endeavour. Anyway, I like being me – despite the real downside to it all. I am a misfit and, as much as I can be, proud of the fact. If people have a problem with that I shall refer them to a favourite Bette Midler quote: Fuck ‘em if they can’t take a joke. Basically I’m not willing to compromise who I am to get what I want. Who I am is more important than that.

7 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I found the place for you! ;-)

Rudolph - The Island of Misfit Toys

What I know of you, I like just fine. Stay true to you! :-)

Sleepypete said...

Heh heh heh - the people who criticise others for reasons like that usually have a whole potful of stuff they're not happy about in themselves. But because they're not willing or able to face up to their own flaws, they pick faults in what other people do.

I quite like my own ability to think outside of the box. Being tempted to conform can make you fit in better but you'll always be behind the curve of people who's brains work quicker. Better to think different so you come up with the ideas that would never occur to the conformists.

Thomas Fummo said...

Misfits of the world... [grin]

Normality is a terrible illusionary concoction, imposed on humanity by The Man. In reality there is no such thing... it's just another way of controlling/censoring freedom of expression and thought.

To hell with normal!

dbackdad said...

Sleepypete nailed it, " ... the people who criticise others for reasons like that usually have a whole potful of stuff they're not happy about in themselves"

Criticizing anyone for reading books is the height of ridiculousness. We should be criticizing people for NOT reading books.

Living a life just to please others is not a real life.

CyberKitten said...

mike said: What I know of you, I like just fine. Stay true to you! :-)

"To thine own self be true" is a personal motto of mine.

Pete said: Better to think different so you come up with the ideas that would never occur to the conformists.

It's what I do [grin]

TF said: Normality is a terrible illusionary concoction, imposed on humanity by The Man.

Very likely.

TF said: In reality there is no such thing... it's just another way of controlling/censoring freedom of expression and thought.

Indeed - manufactured conformity as a means of social control.

dbackdad said: Criticizing anyone for reading books is the height of ridiculousness. We should be criticizing people for NOT reading books.

It might be because the average person (ie normal people) reads 3 books a year. While I read 20 times that many [rotflmao]. So it kinds stands out.

dbackdad said: Living a life just to please others is not a real life.

Most defintely - but you'd be surprised by how many people do just that.

VV said...

I hope through this blog you've at least found some "some-what kindreds." I have a friend in "real" life who has a voracious appetite for books. He literally has them stacked to the ceilings and is constantly getting more. He lives out in the middle of nowhere Texas and he would build new rooms onto his house, or rather his "complex" and add more book shelves to each room just so his books would stay organized and he could find everything. People thought he was very odd, some thought creepy. I never thought that. I understood that past the Grizzly Adams exterior and eccentric back to nature type of life, he was perfectly normal. He wanted the same things out of life we all did (a loving wife, to take care of his daughter and grandchild), he had favorite hobbies (fishing, reading, researching), he had a thirst for knowledge and a desire to live his life in a way that made him happy. I really enjoyed his company because he never got stuck in the typical social conventions. If something came to mind, he'd discuss it, ask questions, and really enjoy getting deep into thinking issues through and listening to other people's perspectives on the issue. Nobody really has in depth conversations and puzzles through issues like that anymore. He challenged my brain, my comfort zone, helped me clarify my beliefs and encouraged me to think and not be afraid to question. I think, from reading your posts here, that I'd very much enjoy your company in real life too. There are plenty of plastic people and carbon copies out there, give me an original any day.

CyberKitten said...

V V said: I hope through this blog you've at least found some "some-what kindreds."

Indeed I have - somewhat to my surprise....

V V said: I have a friend in "real" life who has a voracious appetite for books. He literally has them stacked to the ceilings and is constantly getting more.

Sounds *very* much like a chip off my block [grin]

V V said: Nobody really has in depth conversations and puzzles through issues like that anymore.

They are very few and far between. People don't seem to have, or what to have, the time for those kind of conversations. The kind of conversations that happened before television [grin]

V V said: I think, from reading your posts here, that I'd very much enjoy your company in real life too.

Maybe one day we can put that to the test....

V V said: There are plenty of plastic people and carbon copies out there, give me an original any day.

Couldn't have said it better myself.