About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, October 17, 2011



My Favourite TV: Star Trek – Original Series

It is difficult to calculate just how important Star Trek: Original Series (ST:OS) was to me. Without it I doubt if I would be even remotely the same person I am today. In my personal mythology I credit it – and in particular Leonard Nimoy’s Spock – with quite possibly saving my life at least metaphorically if not actually. In the days I watched this show religiously, regardless if I had seen the particular episode repeatedly and could happily play any of the major roles faultlessly, my teenage emotions where in turmoil. I felt as if I was being torn apart as my adolescent brain was slowly poisoned by hormones I had no control over. I was convinced for far too long that I was going mad. My saviour was someone seemingly going through exactly the same thing - someone who struggled with strong emotions on a weekly basis and who showed how they could be tamed with logic and reason. That’s right – Spock saved my life or at least my sanity.

Feeling nostalgic of late I bought the ST:OS box-sets from Amazon and spent a happy few months watching all 79 episodes one after the other. I remembered all but one instantly. For the first 10-15 minutes I thought that I had actually missed the odd one out. Not so I discovered. It’s possible that I had simply missed the beginning or, more likely from the plot, that I had become bored and zoned out from a rather dull and plodding story mostly based in court. The rest of them however at least kept my attention which isn’t bad after repeated viewings and decades of memories piled on top. Some of them thrilled me just as much as they did back in the 70’s when I watched them on TV again and again and again. Star Trek is largely responsible – no doubt along with the numerous Gerry Anderson puppet shows – for making me a life long fan of Science Fiction (enough on its own to be grateful for I think) as well as for having a life long passion for Science and the application of reason to solve problems (thanks again Mr Spock).

One of the interesting things I found while watching the extra bits on the DVDs was just how lucky anyone was to see Star Trek. The studios hated the pilot (I could see why) but fortunately liked the next offering. In the years that followed budgets were steadily reduced and transmission times varied apparently randomly. Finally they got what they wanted and the series was cancelled part way through the third series. As with a few other cult shows the fans kept it alive in conventions and in the early Internet chat rooms. Finally we got Star Trek: The Next Generation which, overall, I was somewhat less than impressed with. For me, despite the better effects and larger budget, it never really had the presence of the original series. It did manage a few very good episodes and I liked Picard very much but he was no James T Kirk and no matter how much he tried Mr Data was no Mr Spock. I was never a fan of DS:9 but did warm to Voyager. I even, just before they canned it, started to like Enterprise. I wonder if the franchise will get a new lease of life now that the movies are packing them in. Maybe Star Trek isn’t dead quite yet. I hope not – despite its rather patchy history.    

6 comments:

Stephen said...

I can't say Trek saved my sanity, but it did save my 'soul', or my conscience. While my parents expected me to worship their god and look to the bible for inspiration, Star Trek offered me much better role models -- and a much brighter vision of tomorrow.

Have you read Leonard Nimoy's "I Am Spock"? I fancy you'd like him as an author...and he offers plenty of behind-the-scenes looks into TOS.

Sleepypete said...

It's the original (successful) scifi and is still the best scifi universe from all those that have tried.

Babylon 5 had the stories (and a much meaner Chekov) but Star Trek had far better variation.

Not watched the original series lately but I know I was glued to the repeats when they came to BBC 2 when I was still at school.

PS I suspect the episode you mean was the Captain Pike episode ...

Stephen said...

That or "Court Martial", which is the one where Kirk is accused of having gotten a man dead when the guy is really hiding in a air vent or something like that.

VV said...

My favorite are the OS and NG. I never watched the others. I do enjoy the movies as well. I can't say it saved my sanity, that's always been teetering, but it did open my mind and imagination to endless possibilities.

Thomas Fummo said...

I need to watch the original series. Next generation is ok... but I need to see where it all began.

Oh, and happy sixth birthday! :)

CyberKitten said...

sc said: Star Trek offered me much better role models -- and a much brighter vision of tomorrow.

Gene Roddenbery was certainly a visionary - indeed he still is.

sc said: Have you read Leonard Nimoy's "I Am Spock"? I fancy you'd like him as an author...and he offers plenty of behind-the-scenes looks into TOS.

I haven't, no... I've checked it out a few times but never made the plunge.

Pete said: It's the original (successful) scifi and is still the best scifi universe from all those that have tried.

It's most definitely up there...

Pete said: PS I suspect the episode you mean was the Captain Pike episode ...

The original pilot was re-cut to make Menagerie I & II. Of course no one made any comment about the original First Officer later becoming the nurse..... [laughs]

sc said: That or "Court Martial", which is the one where Kirk is accused of having gotten a man dead when the guy is really hiding in a air vent or something like that.

Yup. That was the *really* boring one.

vv said: I can't say it saved my sanity, that's always been teetering, but it did open my mind and imagination to endless possibilities.

Then it did its job... [grin] It's was SF is really good at - mind expansion.