About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, January 26, 2012



Just Finished Reading: Zombies, Vampires, and Philosophy – New Life for the Undead edited by Richard Greene and K Silem Mohammad

Although I have had a long fascination with Vampires I have never really understood the interest with the walking dead (or these days the running dead). Obviously I understand that they can be seen – though the eyes of the survivors of any zombie attack - as a metaphorical triumph over death itself, I can’t see where you go after you realise this. Then again I have never been a huge fan of any of the general horror genres so my lack of interest (or maybe understanding) in watching animating corpses shuffle after the tasty living.

So it should come as no surprise that I was hoping that the majority of this book dealt with the various philosophical and culture aspects of vampirism. Not so unfortunately – or at least I thought this to begin with. Rather surprisingly I actually enjoyed the sections on zombies and ended up thinking that the subset of articles on vampires were rather dull. The zombies in question were, almost exclusively, those created by George Romero – the ‘Dead’ series of movies (none of which I’ve actually seen all the way through. Probably my favourite article in the whole book discussed the philosophical idea of zombies – rather than its cinematic variant. This is the problem of other minds – that being that because we have direct access to the thoughts of others there’s no actual way to confirm that other people have minds like you (or actually like me – because I don’t know if you actually exist as people!). You can see the problem. Other ‘people’ might respond in an appropriate manner but how can you tell if that’s just a conditioned response rather anything driven by another consciousness? Dale Jacquette discussed this in an intriguing way – by thinking about zombie gladiators. What if we could train zombies (the philosophical type not the rotting corpse type) to fight in gladiatorial contests for our entertainment? What if they looked just like us, shouted in pain just like us and bled to death just like us? But what if they only acting these things out because they never actually had minds – and we could tell that because of a tattoo on their skin ‘inked on’ as soon as their lack of consciousness was discovered. Would such contests be OK and if not why not? Probably the second interesting argument – put forward by several authors – was the socio-economic view of what zombies mean (beyond the critique of consumerism so blatant in the second (?) ‘Dead’ film with its now classic Mall scenes). Typically the vampire related articles explored the question of whether vampires are inherently evil or if good vampires (with or without a soul) can actually exist outside of the Buffy universe.      

Overall, despite my initial disappointment in the lower than hoped for number of vampire related articles, I found this book to be nicely diverting. I certainly learnt quite a lot about the zombie mystique – not that it is going to encourage me to watch any of Romero’s movies anytime soon. I can look at the whole zombie genre in a different way though – be it political, economic or philosophic. Books like these are great ways of ‘doing’ philosophy without appearing to do so. If you’re either a zombie or vampire fan you’ll find something in here that will interest you – and you might just pick up the odd (and sometimes very odd) philosophical concept along the way. Recommended.

4 comments:

Stephen said...

Can't say I've ever gotten the appeal of zombies, either, except for understanding the science behind 'real' zombies...people who are put into a deathly sleep, buried, then who wake up as slaves.

I spotted a new interview with Bernard Cornwell I thought you might like --
http://www.omnivoracious.com/2012/01/george-r-r-martin-interviews-bernard-cornwell.html#more

Thomas Fummo said...

I dig the love for philosophy...

but why no love for Romero :(
The critique on capitalism may seem 'blatant' now in Dawn of the Dead, but at the time it marked a significant revolution in terms of horror film making, inspiring other directors like Wes Craven and (my lord and master) John Carpenter.

I, on the other hand, have always thought the 'other minds' quandary borders on Cartesian levels of ridiculousness. You might as well go the 'full Hume' and be skeptical of everything all the time (although to be fair, Hume said he didn't doubt the universe's existence all the time, just when he wasn't asleep or in the pub).
Either way, I've always thought the ethical dilemmas presented by a life or death situation such as that of the zombie holocaust much more interesting.

Oh and vampires have pretty much ALWAYS been dull since Dracula was replaced by trailer trash and wirey-haired mopey glitter-covered emo teenagers.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I enjoy zombies and vampires, though I have to push the sparkly vampires out of my mind. Anne Rice wrote some amazing books about vampires.

My attraction to zombies has more to do with my fascination with post-apocalyptic fiction than with the living dead.

CyberKitten said...

SC said: I spotted a new interview with Bernard Cornwell I thought you might like...

Thanks. I'll check it out.

TF said: I dig the love for philosophy... but why no love for Romero :(

I think that zombies in general never really appealed to me - I guess that I'm just not a decaying corpse sort of person....

TF said: The critique on capitalism may seem 'blatant' now in Dawn of the Dead, but at the time it marked a significant revolution in terms of horror film making...

Isn't hindsight grand?

TF said: You might as well go the 'full Hume' and be skeptical of everything all the time (although to be fair, Hume said he didn't doubt the universe's existence all the time, just when he wasn't asleep or in the pub).

I can be very skeptical if I put my mind to it - I can even convincingly doubt my own existence!

TF said: Oh and vampires have pretty much ALWAYS been dull since Dracula was replaced by trailer trash and wirey-haired mopey glitter-covered emo teenagers.

I never understood the idea of the cuddly angsty vampire.... I blame Buffy (or actually Angel). To my way of thinking Vampire are seriously top predators....

Mike said: I enjoy zombies and vampires, though I have to push the sparkly vampires out of my mind.

I nearly peeded myself when that happened - it was so ridiculously funny....

Mike said: Anne Rice wrote some amazing books about vampires.

Her first three 'Lestat' books rocked my world.

Mike said: My attraction to zombies has more to do with my fascination with post-apocalyptic fiction than with the living dead.

I always struggled with the logic behind the zombie apocalypse - but had no trouble with time-travel, alien invasion or vampires... go figure!