About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, October 12, 2013


Do You Eat Fish?

I was chatting to one of the guys at work a few days ago and we got onto the subject of vegetarians. When I mentioned that I was one he asked me a question that I had been asked several times before when the subject came up – he said: Do you eat fish? No, I said, I’m a vegetarian. He replied, well, my wife is a vegetarian and she eats fish. To which I replied, well, then she’s not a vegetarian. So we argued the point. He, at least initially seemed to maintain that fish wasn’t meat and therefore that eating fish and being a vegetarian where not mutually exclusive. After a few more moments he conceded my point and re-labelled his wife as a piscatarian – a cop out but a good point to end the discussion and get back to work.

I couldn’t help mentioning this conversation when I got back to my ‘office’. One person who is new to the group asked for confirmation that I didn’t eat fish. I confirmed that fact and then she asked: Are you a vegan? No, I said, I’m a vegetarian. I also drink milk and eat cheese and eggs. But I know lots of vegetarians who eat fish, she replied. Then they’re not vegetarians I said. Vegetarians don’t eat meat, period. But, she replied, fish isn’t meat, it’s…… fish. Well, I replied, they’re not exactly vegetables are they? They’re animals and I don’t eat anything with a face. By this time, of course, other members of my team had joined in relating stories of people who call themselves vegetarians who not only eat fish but also eat chicken (that well known other vegetable no doubt). It’s very simple I said, if you eat meat of any kind you can’t be a vegetarian and if you don’t eat meat or meat products then you’re a vegan. But I do consume meat products – dairy and eggs – but don’t eat flesh which makes me a vegetarian. At this point I think they started to get it or maybe a phone rang or the boss looked in our direction and things went a bit quiet.

To me at least the definition of vegetarian is pretty simple. Not so, it would seem, to a surprising number of otherwise switched on people. Of course people calling themselves veggies whilst still eating meat doesn’t exactly help matters. Two memories immediately sprung to mind. One was my ex-girlfriend tucking into fish on our last holiday together despite me thinking her being a veggie for the two years we spent together. Rather incredulous I said to her that I thought she was vegetarian. I am, she said, but I also eat fish. The other memory was of my mother’s reaction when I told her that I was a vegetarian just before coming home for Christmas. Oh, she said, but you’ll still be OK with the chicken? No, I said, I don’t eat meat any more. But chicken isn’t meat, she replied. So what is it, I asked. Chicken, she said. Sometimes you just have to laugh, sadly shake your head and move on with your life. But just for the record, I’m a vegetarian and, no, I don’t eat fish.  

6 comments:

dbackdad said...

Ha-ha. I completely identify with that, but from the other side. I've been a vegetarian for about 4 years ... and I eat fish occasionally. Of course, you are completely right. I'm not trying to dispute that.

A big part of it has to do with where the the vegetarian's worldview came from. Mine came from an environmentalist angle. I grew up on an Iowa farm. I ate beef, pork and poultry on a daily basis.

At some point (about 16 or so years ago), I experimented with vegetarianism just as an intellectual exercise - to prove I could do it. I would go "veggie" for months on end.

Finally, about 5 years ago, after watching many documentaries on the nature of the food prep process -- things I already knew from first hand experience -- I decided that I had had my last chicken, beef and pork forever. It wasn't from a revulsion at the taste of meat. I don't even think it was from an emotional concern about the feelings of animals. It was from the environmental cost that it took bringing most meat to our table. Much more energy, gas, electricity, etc. is used to bring a hamburger to our plate than any plant.

I don't even think I miss any of those things. I will allow myself fish every once in awhile because its environmental cost is considerably less than other meat. No soil erosion, no forests cut down. And as long as you are not eating too high on the food chain, no supply concerns. It's not a perfect argument, I grant you. But I get why a lot of vegetarians have this "back door". But if you want to be technical, we should probably be called pescatarians, or something similar. :-)

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: I don't even think I miss any of those things.

I still miss pepperoni pizza and smoky bacon sandwiches.... even after 14 years.

dbackdad said: But I get why a lot of vegetarians have this "back door".

Oh, I fully appreciate why people do it. Fish is very good for you on lots of levels. But with a bit of effort and planning there is no real need to eat fish - if you don't want to that is!

dbackdad said: But if you want to be technical, we should probably be called pescatarians, or something similar. :-)

Just so long as you don't call yourselves 'veggies' I'm cool with that! I'm a very firm believer in people eating whatever they want. Who as I to say otherwise?

VV said...

We've had this conversation with our friends as well, partly because some are vegans, some vegetarians, and some piscatarians. My daughter has been all three and has now settled back into vegetarian. I wish I could be a vegetarian, I know it would be much better for my health, there are just three things standing in my way: bacon, buttered lobster, and grilled steak. :-)

CyberKitten said...

v v said: I wish I could be a vegetarian, I know it would be much better for my health, there are just three things standing in my way: bacon, buttered lobster, and grilled steak. :-)

I haven't met a fellow veggie yet that didn't miss bacon [lol]. Not sure if I've ever had lobster never being a huge fan of any sea food as such. I used to like a decent steak but don't miss it at all. Then again I've never really been a HUGE meat eater even back in the day when I was rather more carnivorous.

Stephen said...

It probably doesn't help that the Catholic Church has referred to fish as not-meat for thousands of years, presumably so Catholics could have it on no-meat Fridays.

CyberKitten said...

sc said: It probably doesn't help that the Catholic Church has referred to fish as not-meat for thousands of years, presumably so Catholics could have it on no-meat Fridays.

That's a *very* good point. I hadn't really considered that aspect - rather predictably!