About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Friday, April 29, 2016

"Dependence denotes a power rather than a weakness; it involves interdependence. There is always a danger that increased personal independence will decrease the social capacity of an individual. In making him more self-reliant, it may make him more self-sufficient; it may lead to aloofness and indifference. It often makes an individual so insensitive in his relations to others as to develop an illusion of being really able to stand and act alone - an unnamed form of insanity which is responsible for a large part of the remediable suffering in the world."

John Dewey, Democracy and Education (1916), p47

2 comments:

VV said...

I think I'm suffering from an unnamed form of insanity.

CyberKitten said...

Me too! I'm a natural born rebel and will violently protect my individualism.

...and to think, John Dewey helped to design *your* education system!!! Go figure.