About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, September 30, 2019

Different Eyes…. Different Views….

One of the many reasons I like/love foreign movies (essentially anything outside of Anglo-American as American culture and British culture are similar in SO many ways) is that they often tell the same kinds of stories in very different ways. You don’t have to go as far as Chinese action films or Japanese Anime to get that feeling, just watch a French comedy or Russian SF film to see what I mean. Different cultures can see things in very different ways and this starts you thinking about your own culture differently. Things that you took for granted, tropes you have seen a thousand times to subconsciously know what’s coming next stop working in predictable ways when you cross a national or notional cultural border. It’s at that point that you question the fact that the hero is always X or the baddie is always Y. Or the fact that the story progresses along path A rather than path B or that the ending resolves issue 1 and 2 but leaves issue 3 open for the audience (or the sequel) to resolve. Do stories have to work that way? Actually no, they don’t.

Now I’m the first to admit that my primary and, indeed only, language I feel in anyway happy in is English. I have a smattering of schoolboy French and can ask for various items in German, Italian, Spanish or, at a push, Portuguese. So foreign films are watched with subtitles (I hate dubbed movies with a passion) and foreign titles are read in translation. To my mind (and my ear) foreign movies need to be spoken in their natural language for the rhythm and cadence to say nothing of lip-synch issues. Good translations can get this idea across in print and I think foreign language text flows differently from both standard and American English. But even more important is the view.

Growing up in any culture you soon begin to see everything and everyone inside as normal, fixed, inevitable and even natural. Inside is safe, predictable and, by and large, understandable even at a gut level. Most of this you pick up without even realising it. You see things the way they are because that way seems right and natural. Watching a movie from a different culture and especially one with a different language or reading a book translated into English (in my case) breaks that normality. The words are printed in English but the culture behind the words doesn’t think in English and, if you’re paying attention, it shows in the narrative. It might be a fantasy novel, an adventure book or a spy novel but there’s something definitely different about it. Even if you didn’t know who it was by or even knew the title you’d quickly clue into the fact that it wasn’t penned by a British (or American) author. There’s something ‘off’ about it, something different, something odd. It’s a bit like those glasses you can get that bend the light so you’re seeing things upside down or at a weird angle. It takes some getting used to but, with practice, you can get around OK. Then when you take the glasses off there’s a period of disorientation and reorientation before reverting to normal. But something has changed. Now you know you can see things through glasses that bend reality, that reality is constructed in the brain rather than outside in the world. Likewise after reading books in translation you see the world slightly ‘off’ before returning to the normal world again but this time knowing that how you see the world depends on where you stand. With practice you can bend the world without needing to wear the glasses and see things as others see them. Then you see that normal is a perspective and that common is a point of view. Seeing through other eyes from time to time improves your own vision as both objects and ideas can be seen clearer using many viewpoints. Try it sometime. You might be surprised.

7 comments:

mudpuddle said...

true... it's sort of aggrandized tribal instinct: beware the stranger! or different idea...

VV said...

Very well explained, CK. Having traveled to quite a few other countries, learned other languages, and watched foreign films, when I go “back home” or am around people who haven’t expanded their borders or boundaries, I see a divide very clearly. Not only can I see and understand other perspectives more quickly, I see the world and move around in it differently. I think this is a the core of the divide that we see globally right now. We have huge parts of the population who can’t see the other person’s perspective. They can’t understand that there are more than one way to do things, see things, more than one right way. This inability to put ones’ self in another’s shoes, or even acknowledge a difference as interesting rather than frightening comes from isolating ones self in a cocoon of one’s own culture, art, interests.

CyberKitten said...

@ Mudpuddle: We're very tribal beasts when you go deep enough.

@ V V: Thanks. I don't consider myself particularly well traveled but I've been a few places and I've seen more than my fair share of foreign movies and read a fair few translated books! Interestingly Fareed Zakaria on CNN said something similar to your comment recently. In the recent past, he said, the world was largely divided between West & East, Capitalist & Communist. Now it is increasingly divided between inclusive cultures and exclusive ones. In many ways what we're living through right now is a change in the global zeitgeist. The tide is shifting and we're being swept along with the current....

VV said...

I really hope the inclusive cultures win.

mudpuddle said...

sharp perception, VV...

VV said...

Thanks Mudpuddle, I’m in very down spirits lately trying to deal with the chaos of the world. Each day I try to make headway toward something more positive, it’s like the crazies have decided to release ten times more junk into the world. I need to unplug for awhile before I lose all faith in humanity, I suppose.

Judy Krueger said...

I could not have said this better. You have described my experience exactly. I find it vital to know that there are many ways to tell a story and to go through life.