About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, March 16, 2020

A Second View From the Apocalypse.

So, here we are a week later. A lot has changed in the last 7 days! Both China and South Korea seem to have a handle on things and places like Italy have been hit particularly badly. Indeed in a somewhat surprising development China is now offering technical and practical help to Italy. Who would have thought that a year ago? Closer to home the number of cases of Covid-19 has been growing steadily here as have the numbers of deaths including at least one in my closest large city. It has, as they say, been getting real.

In advance of Government advice both individuals and organisations have been reacting to the hourly events. Sporting and other social events have been cancelled or postponed. Schools haven’t been closed yet but they probably will be by the end of the week or at least by the end of the month. The Prime Minister’s speech tonight will probably mean that a great deal more people will be working from home shortly. My work has been putting plans in place for just that and I expect to be told tomorrow that we’ll be expected to be working from home by Friday. Which is kind of a bummer from a purely personal and selfish perspective as we had planned a team evening out at a nice Italian restaurant followed by much alcohol this Friday. The way things are I/we really can’t justify that now – not only for the risk to ourselves but for the risk to others if we catch it whilst out enjoying ourselves and then pass it on to someone who has a bad time of things (or worse!). Of course rather ironically it’s my last week in work next week so I’ll be spending the time writing memo’s to people explaining my job, where we keep the photocopier paper and who to ask to get sensible answers on X, Y and Z.

After I give my laptop and cell phone back I guess that I’ll be spending a lot of time at home – practicing social distance. So pretty much a normal weekend then, just extended for a few months (at least). We’ll see how that goes. It’s not like I don’t have enough to read, watch and listen to in order to keep me occupied. That certainly won’t be a problem. Fortunately I like my own company and most definitely don’t bore easily! Cabin fever won’t really be an issue with me – I’ve had far too much practice to let a bit of ‘isolation’ bother me. It will mean that some of my planned short trips will need to be postponed (probably to next year) but a year with my feet up sounds pretty good to be honest.

Naturally people are still panic buying. Another week in and the shortage of toilet roll continues but my local supermarket did have some (briefly) this weekend. I didn’t need any so left it on the shelf. Still no hand-sanitiser (which I haven’t seen now for at least 2-3 weeks), little in the way of liquid soap but (oddly) LOTS of hard ‘cake’ soap. Go figure. Today I also noticed a much reduced supply of peanuts – weird. As Boris has recommended that pubs and clubs close I’m guessing that the next thing to fly off the shelves is various styles of alcoholic drinks. I’m OK for most things – at least day to day stuff. I had a mini-stockpile of various items in prep for Brexit so I’m most definitely not in panic mode… unless that is they run out of Coke Zero or Pepsi-Max. That could start a real riot – at least in my head.

One thing I probably won’t be doing in going ‘Up North’ this year to see my Mum. She’s 84 this year and I certainly don’t want to be responsible for bringing home an unexpected visitor after sitting for 3 hours on a train. Hopefully by next Christmas (2021) we’ll have a vaccine and I can stop worrying about being a disease vector. Keep safe and don’t forget to wash your hands regularly for at least 20 seconds! See you on the other side.

7 comments:

Stephen said...

Alabama had its first confirmed case on Friday, and it's up to 22 today -- all around urban areas like Birmingham, Mobile, and Huntsville. There was a panic at Walmart, with the tissue paper and alcohol being bought up (the medicinal kind, not the booze!), but things are slightly calmer now. The library is closed until early April -- or rather, closed to the public. I'll still be there to answer the phone, do research, whatever. It's..going to be weird once things go back to normal!

Good luck avoiding the nasty!

mudpuddle said...

we're right on the edge of WA state, a hotspot and the local town just had its first case, so we're planning what to do for a year or however it all goes on... most of the paper goods are gone from stores and sanitizing stuff also... how ironic, CK, that all this is going on just in honor of your retirement!! whatever you do must really be important, as it looks like the world is going to fall apart when you quit... haha

Brian Joseph said...

Everything has closed here in New York. We have many local cases and many of us are getting geared up to work from home. We are preparing to get hit as hard as Italy as there are reasons to believe that the disease will run a similar course here. Let’s hope not though. Personally I am still recovering from the flu but I am much better today.

Take care and stay healthy.

CyberKitten said...

@ Stephen: I still can't understand the obsession with toilet roll and water... Here its pasta, hand-sanitiser (none to be found anywhere) and now long-life milk. Good luck to you too!

@ Mudpuddle: If this is the universes way of stopping my leaving my job.... it's not going to work. I was/am fully confident that my office will fall apart without me [grin] but I wasn't expecting the whole world to follow along!

@ Brian: Not everything is closed here - yet... But its getting there. I'll be WfH for most of the rest of my time in work (6.5 days to go!). Italy is REALLY bad. What makes it 'special' in that way I don't know. I've had Flu *twice* so I so sympathise! Here's looking forward to a speedy recovery. Thanks - Stay healthy too!

VV said...

I only teach online now, so I was already “there” when everyone else was ordered to move their classes online. All our universities and K-12 schools are closed for the semester and gone online. I think we’re approaching a mandatory stay inside order because the confirmed cases are rising exponentially. I expect that to happen within the week, because too many people aren’t taking this seriously and staying in. The governor already ordered all restaurants, clubs, and bars to close last Friday. Only drive thru or take are allowed. Now I’m reading about how long certain politicians knew about this and one dumping stocks before the stock market had a chance to react to the news. People suck..a little isolation will be good for us.

CyberKitten said...

Yeah, I saw about the Senators insider trading..... People do suck! Hopefully there will be SOME comeback for that!

Judy Krueger said...

I have been at home except for some grocery shopping for two weeks now. Like you, it is not a hardship for me because I like being at home. I have got several email chains going with my various book clubs and keeping in touch that way. As of today, March 25, it is hard to see when or how it will all end. How ironic that you spend your last week at your job working from home!