About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Just an Admin Thing….

I’ve been thinking (dangerous I know) about my ‘Religion’ label over on the right (now gone). It’s not a subject I read much about having lost a great deal of interest in the subject from the heady days of being a quite outspoken Atheist. It still holds *some* interest but I have almost zero interest in *what* people believe but I am rather fascinated in *why* they believe things. Anyway, the Religion based books (very) occasionally dropping into that category gradually became wider and wider in scope and were often out of the Religion slot unless you squinted at them HARD. So, I thought the label needed relabelling. I had a few ideas – Superstition or Supernatural – but they really didn’t seem appropriate (and to be honest both sounded rather derogatory!) so I finally decided on ‘Belief’ as a catch-all category which seems fine all round. So there it is…. Over on the right. Of course this doesn’t mean that there will be a whole truckload of Belief based books coming this way…. But there will be a few now and again…. Maybe around Halloween….. Maybe….. 

7 comments:

Judy Krueger said...

I like how you put so much thought into your categories.

mudpuddle said...

I (blush) never noticed that list before... maybe i'm too self-absorbed? or just don't see as well as i used to... most of the time i believe in rocks, altho they do seem to shimmer from time to time...

CyberKitten said...

@ Judy: Thanks! Amazingly I have been told (on the odd occasion over the years) that I *overthink* things. This I naturally refute and have even been known to keep the accompanying PowerPoint presentation to below 30 minutes..... [lol]

@ Mudpuddle: Not to worry. It's pure ephemera unless you want to dig through the archives or such... Rocks are pretty good, but I do kind of prefer the lichens that grow on them... [grin] I do like the sparkly ones though and it's always interesting to know how the rocks became... rocks.

Brian Joseph said...

I am an atheist. Like many atheists I am somewhat fascinated by religion. I do consider it belief in the supernatural combined with a philosophical and ethical belief system.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

I am an over-thinker too! And I always try to make my labels cute when I can. Like, books about Dinosaurs, the shelf label is "Welcome to Jurassic Park". Or books about dance, the shelf label is "You dance a dance class" (a line from an episode of Friends). I think 'Belief' is a good label for the shelf!

CyberKitten said...

@ Brian: Indeed. I used to argue the point way back in my youth (*so* much wasted on the young) but eventually learned that I was only arguing opinion. Our beliefs, I believe, are largely contingent on where we accidentally grew up and who we grew up with (along with all the usual caveats). So if we had simply been born in a different place or different times we'd believe different things and hold them as dear to us as the beliefs we hold right now. That's when I stopped arguing with people - fun though it sometimes is.... [grin]

@ Sarah: I do try to make my labels self-evident, Relevant or at least funny/odd. Belief does cover a multitude of sins so it'll do [grin]. I do have some 'interesting' books languishing on my shelves that would slot into the Belief camp. It's just finding the *time*!

mudpuddle said...

yes, agree w/ the belief thing...