About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, December 05, 2022


Just Finished Reading: Operation Crossbow – The Untold Story of the Search for Hitler’s Secret Weapons by Allan Williams (FP: 2014) [394pp] 

Rumours, that’s all they had really. Whispers from spies, supposed ‘leaks’ from inside Occupied Europe and hints from German propaganda broadcasts about secret war winning weapons. British Intelligence were not impressed but some of Churchill’s scientific advisors thought there was enough substance in the reports to give them credence, but more was needed before any response could be thought of. They needed proof. Slowly, over weeks and months, the proof arrived. A crashed ‘aircraft’ in Scandinavia was nothing of the sort and both photographs and parts were shipped to Britain for analysis. High level photo-reconnaissance of unusual structures on the Baltic coast stirred interest and alarm and more flights were requested. But confusion still reigned. Some in the scientific staff thought the much talked about ‘rockets’ to be practically and even theoretically impossible. Others couldn’t understand mixed reports of huge missiles and remotely guided unmanned jet planes. Only when they started to receive details accounts of odd structures on the French coast seemingly pointing at Britain did everything start to fall into place. Confirmed by low flying photo recon flights this ski-shaped buildings seemed to be designed to aim missiles at a number of places in South-East England including London. Further examination of photographs already taken of the French coast in anticipation of D-Day revealed dozens of such sites with the potential of launching thousands of missiles at England. With Operation Overlord planning in the final stages and resources tight calls for more reconnaissance and an immediate bombing campaign to destroy the launch sites sat unactioned or delayed. Then, on 13th June 1944, the first of the V-1 flying bombs made its way to its target in London and everything changed. 

This is, primarily, the story of photo-reconnaissance undertaken by Allied pilots, mostly British at first but with an increasing number of Americans as the war progressed, looking for V-1 and later V-2 rocket sites in order that they could be eliminated either by being overrun by the Allied advance through France and the Low Countries or bombed into rubble by RAF or USAAF bombers. But a significant portion of the narrative also looked at the vital work of spies, including French Resistance operatives, and ‘whistleblowers’ in German run factories building some of the weapons or parts of them. Put together with the seemingly never ending and extremely demanding work of photographic interpreters this allowed the Allies to at least great inhibit the V programs and their ultimate launch schedules. One of the things that impressed me, and something I had read about elsewhere, was the fact that at best the British managed to shoot down around 85% of all V-1s launched and that, on average, the casualty rate from V-1 strikes was one dead and three injured per impact. Both the V-1 and V-2, though deadly in their own ways, were huge vanity projects which took away vital resources from other areas and probably contributed to the ultimate defeat of the Axis Powers. 

Jam packed with fascinating information and some very clever people this is a must read for anyone interested in this often-overlooked aspect of the war in Europe as well as the early years of the Cold War. I was amazed at the work undertaken, often by gifted amateurs (archaeologists and architects were particular in demand), to locate and plan the destruction of this new type of weapon. I wasn’t aware of the numbers involved or how these largely unsung heroes made such a difference to the war effort. Definitely recommended.      

8 comments:

Hannah @ Among Stories said...

This sounds quite intriguing! Having just been in Germany, the reality of how little I really know about World War II became very obvious. Certainly all the ‚good stuff‘ was left out of lessons in school! I also never took the time to think about how people leveraged technology against Axis powers, or the level of risk some people took to defeat them. That said, it’s incredible to think about the changes that were made regarding the use of technology in times of war, especially when we are talking 80 years ago now, and even how we’re seeing that develop today. Even if it would be nicer if we could all just get along…

I think I’m going to have to raid your past WWII reads to help beef up my reading list.

CyberKitten said...

It's very good and there's a LOT of personal stories to keep it interesting. As you can imagine there were quite a few 'characters' involved in the struggle.

The technological progress on both sides was pretty amazing - Radar, jet engines, computers, nukes, ballistic missiles, cruise missiles (even air launched ones!), radio controlled bombs.... the list goes on. It still blows me away that we went from the first manned flight to the first man on the Moon in *66* years!!

Oh, there will be plenty to keep you occupied in my WW2 List. Surprisingly there's not much in there about the actual fighting though! More to come as I'm trying to read up about the early part of the war when Britian stood effectively alone until the US joined in fully after Pearl Harbor.

Hope you had lots of fun in Germany.

Hannah @ Among Stories said...

The development of technology, especially the pace, truly is a wonder. Factor in its impact on society and really there’s enough there to keep you (or me at least) occupied for some time.

Personally, I don’t think it’s the fighting of wars that is most interesting. It’s the stories of what people risked and overcame that really gets me interested. Those stories have so much more to offer in my opinion. I’m also actively seeking out more exposure to non-US perspectives on important historical events like WWII, because there is more to it than just US this or US that.

There was lots of delicious beer, Christmas markets and Glühwein, and more. In short, it was wonderful!

CyberKitten said...

Yes, technological advancement does go by in a rush doesn't it? It's a wonder we can't hear it "whoosh" as it goes by!

War is definitely a *human* activity (unfortunately) so people are at the centre of all of it. I'm particularly interested in how they start, how they end and how people cope with the gritty day to day stuff - so you'll see lots of that here. Having other perspectives is important if you want to see the whole picture. Things not make much sense if you only see one side of things.

Sounds like you had lots of fun. Do you speak German? I know a little bit from school but I doubt if I could order anything but a beer with what I know!

Hannah @ Among Stories said...

Sounds very up my alley. I‘m going to dig through your backlog today. As to having one side of the story, it‘s only a shame that more people wouldn‘t agree, let alone make the effort to see someone else‘s side.

We sure did have fun! Ich habe ein bisschen Deutsch, aber sehr sehr wenig. LOL. Thankfully, many German‘s have English that is just as good if not better than my own and they were happy to use it when we asked.

CyberKitten said...

I'm reading an interesting book about the very early war when Poland was attacked, first by Germany and then by the Soviets. I knew *something* about it previously but this goes into much more detail. More early days of WW2 to come, plus the closing stages as it morphs into the Cold War. The middle bit? Not so much!

I can just about buy a ticket or a beer in a few languages. But mostly I struggle along in basic English and sign language [grin]

Hannah @ Among Stories said...

Sounds interesting! Admittedly I know so little about early WWII which is probably a product of how it’s taught here and my lack of interest in the subject when I was younger. Definitely a gap I’m working on filling.

Thankfully, most people are willing to work with you when you’re nice about trying to get by without knowing their language. :)

CyberKitten said...

I'm going to try to move away from my (many) comfort zone(s) and away from the European theatre I know most about. But I think that'll be a bit of an uphill struggle. My main focus is really 1939-41, so I'll finish off the Appeasement phase next year before moving on to the so-called 'Phoney' war and then the fighting in France followed by Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain.

Natives do like it when you at least make the effort - no matter how poorly. I had some nice reactions in Paris when I struggled with my schoolboy French. But I did hear some Brits complaining that the road signs were in French. DUH! you're in FRANCE!!