About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, June 12, 2023


Just Finished Reading: The Nocturnal Brain – Nightmares, Neuroscience and the Secret World of Sleep by Guy Leschziner (FP: 2019) [315pp] 

I like my sleep and if I say so myself, I’m pretty good at it. My record, as a teenager naturally, is 16 hours. Thankfully my parents left me to it apart from some sarcastic remarks when I finally emerged from my room. Thankfully too I can say that I’ve had very few problems with my sleep apart from the odd, and sometimes very odd, nightmare (mostly when I was young) and the occasional (thankfully short) bout of insomnia generally as the result of work-related stress. In the last few years at work, I was almost constantly tired and relied on a regular coke intake – mostly Pepsi actually – to keep me awake. This was actually my own fault as I’d go to bed quite late – I'm most definitely a night-owl – and then struggle to get up at a ridiculous hour in the morning and have to function through a full day. Self-inflicted but I wasn’t prepared to give up my life so I’d be perkier at my desk each day. 

Anyway, to the book itself. I’m aware that sleep disorders are not exactly rare. Apart from my own minor issues (plus being told that I mumble in my sleep and tend to move about a bit in bed), my sister used to sleep walk as a child (we’d sometimes find her curled up on the sofa in the morning) and a friend at Uni apparently had sleep apnoea where he’d momentarily stop breathing which would wake him up (and scare the hell out of his girlfriend). But I wasn’t aware of the number of problems and the damage they cause until reading this fascinating and honestly frightening book!  

Circadian rhythms have long interested me ever since learning about them. The idea that we have a (roughly) 24-hour in-built clock that can sometimes malfunction is intriguing to say the least, especially discovering that ALL life – including plants and bacteria – have the same clock. It’s VERY old. But what’s really weird is when it malfunctions and you’re cursed with a 25-hour one. This doesn’t sound too bad until you realise that means slowly moving out of and then back into synch with the rest of the world. Disruptive or what! Then there’s sleepwalking and variations thereof – including sleep driving(!), sleep eating(!!), sleep sex(!!) and sleep crime(!!!). I’ve already mentioned sleep apnoea but imagine stopping breathing for a few seconds but HUNDREDS of times a night. You might not even remember most of it but imagine the damage it’s doing to your sleep patterns and your general health. Then there’s things like narcolepsy, falling asleep for a minute or so at random moments which, of course can be incredibly dangerous. There’s Restless Leg Syndrome, Night Terrors which put my piddling nightmares to shame, and other neurological disorders that threaten our need for sleep.  

This was honestly a riveting read. The author, a consultant neurologist at Guy’s Hospital in London, is an excellent communicator and has filled this slim volume with case studies, explanations and not a little humour. One of the things that struck me was his humility in stating time and again the present limits to our knowledge of the human brain. But we are learning fast and some of the seemingly intractable problems of today will, no doubt, be able to be addressed in the future. I most definitely count myself lucky that I haven’t had to manage any of the scenario's outlined in the book. But if you, or someone you know, is having serious and persistent sleep issues this book could point you in the right direction for possible solutions. Highly recommended for anyone interested in the grey-matter between our ears or for anyone dreaming of a good night's sleep. 

[Labels Added: 0, Labels Total: 49] 

8 comments:

Stephen said...

Southerners are notorious for using the word 'coke' to refer to any soft drink, so I am deeply, deeply amused that you apparently do the same thing.


Sounds like an interesting read on the whole....sleep is an interesting state. I'm well aware of restless legs syndrome- - I used to be plagued with it because of the kidney disease but it's almost a nonissue these days. The idea that so much of life is on the same rhythym is definitely interesting. It makes sense in a way since we all evolved on the same planet, but at the same time the metabolic needs of lifeforms vary widely, so it's strikingly odd.

CyberKitten said...

Well, I only use 'coke' when I'm talking about Coke or Pepsi and not other fizzy 'soda' drinks.

It was a VERY interesting read. I suppose Circadian Rhythms must be important to survival for just about anything here. What I did wonder is that when we eventually colonise other worlds (if we get that far) is how or CR's will mess us up and how long we'll take to adapt to the new cycles. Imagine a world with a 30hr day/night cycle. Would we still use a 24 hour 'day' and ignore actual conditions??

James said...

This sounds very interesting. I was intrigued by the word nightmares in the subtitle of the book. I rarely have anything that would qualify as night mares, but my "regular" dreams are nothing but strange mixtures of bits and pieces of my life both recent and past. I'm not sure how any rhythms fit into my sleep.

CyberKitten said...

I think the 'nightmares' are both actually nightmares as well as some of the other (honestly horrendous) experiences some people have. Dreams are WEIRD. They're still debating over what their function is - if anything!

VV said...

Did the author discuss any solutions to insomnia? My partner is a lifelong insomniac, and her lack of sleep interferes with mine.

CyberKitten said...

Yes, he did. He addressed a number of different types/causes of insomnia. He used case studies to show some underlying causes of the affliction but this isn't a 'self-help' book as such. It focuses on the neurology of various conditions and freely admits that there is still much to learn. 'Solutions' for insomnia ranged here from various drugs, CBT, diet changes and a number of other things. The first and most important thing is to understand the underlying cause - and address that. If she has had any kind of medical diagnosis - and not just given sleeping pills or told she'll "get over it" - that should point you in the right direction. This book will definitely (or most probably) point you there too, I think.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

I am going to see if my library has this one. I deal with insomnia sometimes, despite the fact that I love to sleep. It's very frustrating, but thank God for stress-management meds to help!

CyberKitten said...

Fortunately I've need had to use chemical aids to help me sleep. My ex used anti-histamines from time to time which I can appreciate - but mine never made me sleepy (thankfully!) so they'd never work for me.