About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, July 01, 2023

Reading Plans for 2023 and Beyond! (Half-Year update) 

Has it been SIX months already? How time flies when you don’t have to do stuff you don’t want to (mostly). Despite knowing that no plan ever survives contact with the enemy or enemies, I still keep making and all too often breaking them. But what are plans for, except to laugh at as they slink away unfulfilled? Anyway, how exactly am I doing at the half-way point? 

Following the Labels   

As I mentioned back in January, I’ve given up on my previous attempt to fill in label blanks and instead have decided to attempt to read at least one book from each book-friendly label over on the right. There’s 108 or 109 in that list so I’ve got my work cut out for me. I’m not doing TOO badly though – despite being concerned that I’m reading far too much that don’t add a single label to the pile – with 53 to date. That’s very roughly halfway but it also means that I’ve probably already snagged a lot of the low hanging fruit. The next 6 months could be a challenge here! 

The ‘Knowledge Streams’   

The three ‘Knowledge streams’ I’m trying to focus on – Britain Alone (1939-41), World War to Cold War and USA: WTF? - are not doing awfully well, I’m afraid. I’ve managed a few books that could be unsystematically slotted into the Britain Alone pile but that needs some more systematic reading to bring it in line. The USA: WTF? Stream is SUCH a wide subject that almost any US related reading will apply and I think I’ve made a bit of progress there. What HAS fallen down – again for another year to be honest – is the World War to Cold War theme. I had intended to start this with the D-Day landings and move to the raising of the Berlin Wall and beyond but, as you’ll no doubt have noticed, D-Day has been delayed for some time. Which means, hopefully, the landing craft will be leaving their mother ships shortly, or at least at some point THIS year! 

The ‘Wild Cards’  

I think the new ‘Wild Cards’ are working well. Essentially, I’m slotting in a pair of ‘related’ books – usually one fiction and one non-fiction with a common theme (or at least some kind of obvious link) - about every 5-6 books in my ‘Reading Next’ pile. They’re normally easy to spot and will continue for the foreseeable future. 

Finishing/Progressing Series   

Again, I think I’m doing OK with this one. Presently my immediate focus is to progress the Foundation and Dune series with reading the 3rd book from both before the end of the year. Being me, there’s a few outstanding series that I’ve started (reading the first book only) or have almost finished (with a single book yet to go) so I’ll be trying to progress at least a few of them too. 

Book length & the Review Pile 

I’m still experiencing some kind of weird slow-reading bug, so my review pile is still at rock bottom (presently just 2 books). This means I can’t really read any chunkers presently as that would probably result in me having nothing to review periodically (which means either gaps or with me trying to think of something to say – neither of which I really want to do). So, that means I’ll be reading shorter or fast books again for the foreseeable future. My present average size (after 279 books) is 307pp. I think the *real* average page length is more like 280-285. We’ll see how low it can go! 

Other Plans 

I’m on target with my Classic reads this year – the aim is 10. Presently, I’m at 7 although 2 of them are short story collects so maybe shouldn’t ‘count’. I’ve got 1 more coming up shortly with a LOT more in the background waiting to be read. Looking ahead to 2024 I wonder if I could (or should!) attempt to read 10 in a row. Oh, and speaking of Classics, I need to continue with some more British Library Crime Classics and I’ve been meaning to re-read my Sherlock Holmes books (after 40 years or so). One thing I am very conscious of is the lack of Science reading so far this year. I’ll look at that and see what I can do. I might even try to get out of my Biology rut at the same time! Finally, I’ll see if I can drop in a few more modern thrillers that I’ve been accumulating and that are presently accumulating dust around my house. I’ll aim to read at least 2-3 before the year ends. I think that should keep me going for another 6 months!    

12 comments:

Harvee said...

Congrats on what seems to be a challenging set of books to read.

Stephen said...

Good luck with breaking the science rut! Do you have a few in your pile already?

Marian H said...

"almost any US related reading will apply" - this made me LOL. You're not wrong. XD Most of our history is very much of the "what the?!" variety.

I don't know if you're looking for a Cold War rec, but I did enjoy "Thirteen Days: A Memoir of the Cuban Missile Crisis" by Robert F Kennedy. It's short but sweet, and might check your USA list too.

OH... and you must tell me when you start your Sherlock Holmes reread! I am seriously considering the same. Are you planning to read it in publication order?

CyberKitten said...

@ Harvee: I *do* like a challenge - even if I repeatedly fail! [grin]

@ Stephen: I have Science pile of around 20 books (or so). The vast majority are Bio or Bio related though. I probably have 2-3 non-Bio books.. somewhere...

@ Marian: Oh, you definitely live in a *very* odd country. Of course you guys think that's normal.. which is *very* odd! I know *of* the Kennedy book and find the Cuban Missile Crisis both fascinating & terrifying! I'll check it out.

As to Holmes... I am indeed planning to read them in publication order. I thought I had all of them already (I'd read them all) but must've read some of them as library books - so I bought the gaps recently. So I'll be reading:

1. A Study in Scarlet (1887)
2. The Sign of Four (1890)
3. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1892)
4. The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (1893)
5. The Hound of the Baskervilles (1902)
6. The Return of Sherlock Holmes (1905)
7. The Valley of Fear (1914)
8. His Last Bow (1917)

If you're up for it how about scheduling 'A Study in Scarlet' for August? My Pan edition (1975) is only 156pp so will be a breeze of a read.

Marianne said...

Gosh, you are really organized. My reading takes me anywhere the wind blows, book club, challenges online, trying to get rid of my TBR pile ...

Enjoy your readings!

Marian H said...

A Study in Scarlet in August sounds great! I'll put it in the queue! :D

CyberKitten said...

@ Marianne: Well, I certainly *try* to be organised! Years ago I decided that being what I called a chaotic reader - essentially the first thing that I saw! - meant that I wasn't reading 'old' stuff which was just piling up in a corner. So... I thought I'd have *some* direction to things.

@ Marian: If I schedule it in for the 1st week are you Ok with that? Review will be a week or two later depending on my review 'pile'.

Marian H said...

That sounds good!

CyberKitten said...

It'll be fun to compare notes - especially as its been around 40 years since my first read. When did you read it last time?

Marianne said...

Good idea. I always get some books from my old pile and try to sneak them into the newer ones. Doesn't always work but sometimes.

Marian H said...

@CyberKitten - It's been about 20 years since I read the series in its entirety, but I revisited A Study in Scarlet in 2017. Which, oddly, enough, feels like enough of a different world that I am sure this will be an interesting reread!

CyberKitten said...

Indeed! I think we can divide things into Before Covid and After Covid. It definitely feels that way in my head... [grin]