About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, September 25, 2023


Just Finished Reading: A Brief History of the Battle of Agincourt by Christopher Hibbert (FP: 1964) [141pp] 

The Hundred Years war between England and France was on ‘pause’. But England’s new King, Henry V, had other ideas and was determined to end the conflict once and for all – and in England’s favour. Opening negotiations with Paris after securing war financing from Parliament and securing loans from banks and wealthy individuals (who actually had little choice in the matter) Henry was playing a double game. He knew that eventually the French would tire of his demands and war would be ‘forced’ upon him. So it was, late in 1415, that an invasion fleet sailed across the English Channel to land near the town of Harfleur. This is when things started to go wrong. Not only did the inhabitants of that town (supposedly already Henry’s property) decide to fight they did so very ably. Unprepared for a long siege, indeed for any siege, the English forces struggled to make headway. Only after many weeks, many deaths and much disease in both the town and the encircling English camp did the town finally fall – in no small part due to the failure of superior French forces in the rest of the country to co-ordinate any action in its defence. With a significant proportion of his army dead or dying, Henry decided to march to the nearest English strongpoint – Calais. In order to do that they needed to cross the river Seine – but the French knew that too and ensured that no fording place was available or uncontested. The resulting march East – away from Calais – to find a suitable ford to cross both exhausted and demoralised the English force. Finally, after much trial and error and a few notable skirmishes the Seine was crossed, and the march West could begin. By this time the French had finally agreed on a plan, and they sat across the only road that they knew the English needed to approach their objective. Only after the subsequent battle was over did the victorious Henry ask for the name of the nearest castle. He was told – Agincourt. 

Along with the Battle of Crecy (1346), the Battle of Agincourt (25th October 1415) is a defining encounter with the French during the Hundred Years war. It’s certainly one of those dates – along with 1066, 1805 and 1815 – that any English school kid of my generation could rattle off when asked for such things. What is surprising though is just how almost irrelevant it was, except for the fact that it destroyed a goodly chunk of that period's French aristocracy. The numbers, actually the disparity in numbers, is staggering. It’s impossible now to establish the exact figures but somewhere around 8,000 French died during or shortly after the three-hour battle. The highest estimate for English casualties is 500 and is probably more likely to be around 100 of which most were injured, not killed. It was far less of a battle and much more of a slaughter. But what, in the end did it achieve? The victorious English army and its King left France and less that 40 years later the war was over with the French holding all of the disputed territory except for the enclave at Calais which finally fell in 1558 during the Italian War of 1551–1559. 

As you might expect from such a short book – it was a brief history after all – this narrative rattled along at pace. Despite this it was full of interesting observations and contained a detailed review of the battle itself (as well as the Siege of Harfleur). Although rather dated now (I think I’ll look out for more up to date histories of the conflict) this is still worth reading. Recommended to anyone interested in the Hundred Years war or the Medieval Period in general.  

[Labels Added: 0, Labels Total: 69]

7 comments:

VV said...

I would love to learn more English history. It wasn’t covered in K-12, other than colonization and US independence. I didn’t get much of it in college either other than the World Wars and colonization again. That will likely be one of my pastimes during retirement in several years.

CyberKitten said...

We do have quite a lot of it, don't we! [grin] I tend to get stuck in the 19th/20th century but am making more of an effort to move beyond that. It's HARD to know just where to start though.... More random UK history to come.

I hope you enjoy you're upcoming retirement. Best decision I've ever made!!

VV said...

I still have a number of years ahead of me before retirement, but I’m already thinking in that direction.

CyberKitten said...

Our Finance people @ work recommended being notified 6 months before we left so they could sort out our work pension. So the office knew well ahead of time - at least a year or so I think - that I was going. I even had a notification in my online diary (@ work) for the day after my 60th birthday which said "Last Day at Work - Ever". I was determined not to be working into my 60's. Luckily, without too much effort, things worked out quite well...

VV said...

You’re so fortunate! I know people working in their 70s!

CyberKitten said...

We had one guy working in our Admin office who was past retirement age. He was pretty much angry *all* the time. I heard that he'd had a big financial problem just before he was about to retire so had to put it off for years. I was lucky to have accumulated a bit of money over the years - I'm essentially a cheap date so lived/still live within my means - my work pension is reasonable after 32 years in harness and my mortgage was paid off just before I retired so that helped. My State pension starts in 4 years I think so that'll be a bit of a boost too.... All in all I'm doing OK financially [touch wood].

VV said...

Good planning.