About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, November 16, 2023


Just Finished Reading: Napoleon and the Hundred Days by Stephen Coote (FP: 2004) [289pp] 

It’s sad to say that up till now most of my ‘knowledge’ of the Napoleonic Wars has been gleamed from Bernard Cornwell’s Sharpe novels and the subsequent TV series. There’s been a few other books over the years – both fiction and non-fiction, but they’ve been both few and far between. To describe my understanding of the war(s) as ‘fractured’ or ‘incomplete’ would be a compliment. In order to close that gap, I finally picked up this excellent slim volume and now I feel much more enlightened. 

Starting near the end of things – with Napoleon in exile on the island of Elba and with the Congress of Vienna in full swing (or would that be full waltz) - the author gives a potted history of the events up to that point: the French Revolution and the wars/upheaval that followed, campaigning in Italy, the abortive mission to Egypt, the disaster of the Russian campaign and so on. Running to around 60 pages this is, of course, the briefest of overviews but is very useful indeed. Mixed in with this were highlights of the diplomatic situation in Europe, Napoleons relationship with his great love Josephine and the troubled relations with the rest of his family – again, great background which went a long way to explain some elements of Bonaparte’s character. His time on Elba is covered in some detail as well as the lax security which allowed him to escape and start the ‘meat’ of the story – his last 100 days. 

Starting with as little as 600 men, Napoleon was determined to overthrow the new (actually old Burbon) regime and re-install himself as Emperor and ‘saviour’ of France. To begin with it was touch and go. He did have his fanatical followers, but he also had his critics who were all too aware of what this man had cost the country in terms of both blood and gold. But after a few early victories and units sent against him changing sides and joining him it looked that the recently ended war was about to be reignited. Not, of course, if the Allies had anything to do with it. Most quickly off the mark were the Prussians and the British who quickly moved out of their positions to face the reinvigorated French forces. After some initial clashes the final battlefield was picked by Wellington, just outside a small historically insignificant village of Waterloo. The battle itself, covered in around 60 pages, was epic in proportions and the number of dead. Surprisingly, for someone thought to be THE military genius of war, Napoleon made some pretty fundamental mistakes and paid the price. My ‘knowledge’ of the war(s) ended with the battle itself, so it was highly instructive to read what happened next – both regarding the Allies and the new French government. 

I learnt a LOT from this excellent book, and it's given me even more incentive to deep deeper into the conflict. I certainly want to know more about the all-important Congress of Vienna as well as Napoleon’s time in Egypt and beyond. I already have a few books in these areas and will be trying to fill in some more of the blanks going forward. Definitely recommended to anyone interested in the era or for those who just want a quick, but detailed, overview of events. 

[Labels Added: 1, Labels Total: 74] 

8 comments:

Stephen said...

Planning on seeing the movie? Like you, a lot of my knowledge of Napoleon came from historical fiction -- Sharpe and Hornblower! I had no idea how complicated things were.

CyberKitten said...

I'll *probably* see the movie - just not @ a movie theatre. I think it's 3hrs 20 mins so I doubt if it'll keep my interest THAT long to see in one chunk. Plus I'm getting a undefined 'bad vibe' from the trailer... [muses]

More Napoleonic stuff to come - both fiction & non...

VV said...

I plan to see Napoleon, didn’t realize it was going to be that long! Maybe a home view later. What I know about Napoleon’s genius military strategy is that in the beginning it was unusual and unexpected, which gave him a lot of victories. Once his enemies understood his tactics and planned for them, Napoleon didn’t adjust his tactics or come up with new ones, which led to spectacular losses.

CyberKitten said...

Funnily, my local Multiplex says: Running time 2hr 38mins. Maybe the longer time is an extended version... Or some critic said it just *felt* that long!!

That an excellent analysis of his 'genius'. He developed a new way of fighting - speed of action being among them - and defeated one enemy after another. He also did some VERY stupid things - like invade Russia and got absolutely TROUNCHED. He also wouldn't listen to anyone else but himself. He believed his own propaganda and thought himself the new Alexander. Clearly he wasn't!

Stephen said...

Oh, wow. O_O I also didn't realize the length. I will probably wait for redbox, then...

Marian H said...

I'll probably watch it with my brother at some point, the cinematography looks pretty epic. I would like to brush up on my Napoleonic history first, though. There was a time I was researching it for a book I was writing and got mildly obsessed with Napoleon, Metternich, and the Congress of Vienna. XD Alas I don't remember much. At 289 pages, maybe this is the brief intro I need!!

Stephen said...

I don't if you're one for podcasts, but Tom Holland over at The Rest is History recently did a two-parter on Young Napoleon. Arguably worth listening to just for the hilariously terrible Corsican and French accents they use when quoting Boney.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYWNhc3QuY29tL3RoZS1yZXN0LWlzLWhpc3RvcnktcG9kY2FzdA/episode/ODdlODg4OTItNzRjOS0xMWVlLWI2YzEtYWY1NzNhODZlNjY0?sa=X&ved=0CAUQkfYCahcKEwj4ueHMwtOCAxUAAAAAHQAAAAAQPw

VV said...

We saw Napoleon today. It was okay. I felt like Joaquin Phoenix and Vanessa Kirby really disliked each other.