About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, February 24, 2024


Birthday Dinner Party – 24th February   

This week it’s a smaller more select bunch of people as it appears that quite a few military men were born today, and I didn’t want it to be a fully military affair. I have dropped in a few military men – how could I avoid these two historic characters? - but I have added a few others – again how could I avoid Jobs – to lighten the conversation somewhat. The guests are: 

John Burgoyne the British general who surrendered at Saratoga during the American Revolutionary War. I’m sure that he could provide some fascinating insights into why England lost America. 

Wilhelm Grimm of Grimm’s Fairy Tales fame first published in 1812 with 86 stories. By the seventh edition in 1857 211 stories were included. I think we all grew up with Grimm’s tales and I'm sure it would be really interesting to know how they were collated. 

Chester Nimitz, Commander in Chief, Pacific Ocean Areas, commanding Allied air, land, and sea forces during World War II. I think it goes without saying that any conversation with this titan would be fascinating – especially to military history buffs like me. 

James Farentino, American actor who starred in The Final Countdown – on board the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Nimitz. I thought this was a cheeky invite because of the Nimitz angle. I’m sure the movie star and the Admiral could have a few laughs over the coincidence of their birthdays. 

Steve Jobs, obviously the co-founder of Apple Computers. Who wouldn’t want to spend some time with such a person – even one, like me, who has never owned an Apple produce and who thinks their whole mystique has been overhyped since the start. 

I think that would be a FUN evening for all concerned. I wonder if any of them play piano....? 

8 comments:

Stephen said...

The woman who plays Mariner on ST Lower Decks is celebrating her birthday today. I'm sure she'd add some manic energy to the table! BTW, that hinted 'surprise' is coming today..

Stephen said...

Or possibly tomorrow for you, depending on how early you go to bed!

CyberKitten said...

Tawny Newsome is obviously a talented woman. Funny too!

Around Midnight and I'm 6 hours ahead of you presently....

Marianne said...

They could invite Michel Legrand, he would liven up the party, for sure.
And Dennis Waterman could sing.
Is there a certain reason you chose the 24th of February for your birthday party?

CyberKitten said...

Essentially I've been looking for ideas for Saturday posts as I sometimes (or even often!) struggle to have something to schedule for that day. I do like to post every day if I can. I heard the presenter mention birthdays on the radio a few weeks ago and it got me thinking - famous people at a part and who I would pick to be there.

24th Feb just happened to be a Saturday and I didn't post a party the previous week.... So.... No special reason really. [grin]

Marianne said...

I see. I thought your actual birthday is not for another two months.

CyberKitten said...

Correct. 7th April.

Marianne said...

👍