About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Strange Heroine, Strange Fruit

Some might think it strange anyway - I however, as often, take a different view. Who am I talking about? Eve of course - as in 'Adam & Eve'.
As a child I always found this story rather confusing. Afterall, here was a woman enhancing the powers of her species by extending the boundaries of knowledge and she was supposed to be looked on as some kind of villain. Is it any wonder that I never 'got' religion. Even at that tender age I instinctively knew that it didn't make sense. To me knowledge was a good thing. Ignorance was, by definition, bad and willful ignorance...? Well, I don't like to use the word 'evil'... but...
In the story God casts out Adam (basically for being gullible & stupid) and Eve (for being willful & disobedient) for wanting to be 'as they are' - as God's - knowing the truth about things. Unfortunately Eve never managed to eat of the Tree of Life so we stayed mortal - but at least we are no longer ignorant (even if at the time we were ignorant of our ignorance). So I thank her heartily for that. In my mind she's a heroine and should be celebrated as such.
Anyone else fancy a bite of this juicy apple.......?

3 comments:

craziequeen said...

How odd - a religious posting on an atheist's blog.......

good start, kitty.... :-)

cq

Juggling Mother said...

Yeah, I never really got that either - how can my teacher (someone whose job is to give others knowledge), sit there & explain how evil Eve was for wanting that knowledge? And what kind of God would deny his self-aware creations knowledge in the first place?

Still, religion is hardly the most logical of things is it?

Welcome to the blogsphere BTW, I'm looking forward to some big issues to argue over, um, debate:-)

CyberKitten said...

Thanks... I have an idea for my next post.... I think it may be slightly controversial....