About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Right to Beat Children.

I came across this news article some time ago and was so shocked and surprised by it that I kept it.

From the Associated Press

A private Christian school that says corporal punishment is part of its religious beliefs asked the House of Lords on Wednesday to uphold its right to spank misbehaving pupils.

The Christian Fellowship School in Liverpool, northwest England, says a 1996 government ban on corporal punishment in schools is out of step with the wishes of the public and infringes the rights of Christians to practice their beliefs.

The High Court and the Court of Appeal have both rejected that argument. James Dingemans, representing the school and headmaster Philip Williamson, told five law lords - members of the House of Lords who constitute Britain's highest court of appeal - that it was an established principle of English law that parents had the right to inflict corporal punishment on their children, and could delegate that right to a teacher. "The Court of Appeal was led into error by creating and applying a doctrine of non-interference which is completely inconsistent with a principled approach to religious freedoms," he told the lords, who are led by Lord Bingham. That, said Dingemans, had meant that "one of the most important human rights is near worthless." In its ruling, the Court of Appeal said physical punishment for an offence committed at school could be achieved by contacting the pupil's parents and leaving any punishment to them. That way, there was no question of parents' religious freedoms being in conflict with the ban on smacking in the 1996 Education Act, the appeal judges said.

I have no idea how the case panned out.

But think about it for a moment… Does anyone else have an issue with this?

A Christian school founded on the teachings of a wise, benevolent and loving deity want the legal right to hit children – because it’s part of their belief system. Sounds crazy doesn’t it? Or is that just me? What values are these people trying to instil in the children - that violence and the threat of violence is the way things should be?

I suppose this also throws up the whole issue of corporal punishment in schools (or anywhere else for that matter). Is violence and fear the best way to control people? Why do people need to be controlled in the first place? What is wrong with a society that resorts to sanctioned acts of violence against its own population?

7 comments:

JR said...

I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but corporal punishment is alive and well in the Deep South of the U.S. When I lived in Arkansas 5 years ago, notices were sent home at the beginning of each school year for the parents to sign that they were aware of the "paddling" policy. I wrote on my kids' forms that if anyone took a paddle to my kids they'd better be prepared for me to take a paddle to them. I stopped by the Principal's office and looked at the paddle in question. It was a one inch thick piece of wood with a handle and holes drilled through it to cut down on wind resistance. The Principal said he didn't have to use it on too many kids, the threat was enough. Just one of many, many, many reasons I no longer live in the South.

CyberKitten said...

Luckily I was never caned in any of my schools - though I knew people who had been. Did it do any 'good'? Not that I could tell.

Jewish Atheist said...

"A common theme among the most conservative Evangelical Christian sources is that it is important to start the discipline of children at an early age. A leading Fundamentalist Christian leader, James Dobson of Focus on the Family, recommends spanking children in some situations from the age of 18 months."

CHILD CORPORAL PUNISHMENT: SPANKING

Juggling Mother said...

It violates their right to religious freedom?

I don't know the bible that well, but I'm fairly certain it does not say "thou shalt hit thy children" anywhere.

Also, we do not allow religious traditions to over-rule social laws in this country - the law regarding female circumcision is an obvious example. Not only is it illegal to perform it or request for it to be performed in the UK, it is also illegal to send a child abroad to have it performed.

I'm not actually in favour of the anti-smacking law (as in Scotland). I think there are times when a parent can smack a child with good reason. I have always smacked my babies on the hand when they try to stick their fingers in electric sockets, as they can understand that easily.

However, as a "child-care professional" I am totally opposed to any kind of physical violence in a school/daycare etc. The relationship should be kept professional, and that does not EVER include violence (from either party).

Also the use of a weapon is abhorrant in every way. It can cause serious harm both physically & psychologically, and all it teaches is he with the bigger stick/gun/bomb is right.

i was lucky enough to attend a state school after corporal punishment was banned, so never recieved any (& look how badly I turned out, considering my predicted place in society was "dreg"), but at uni I met many people who had been caned at public school with any number of implements. I don't believe it "helped" any of them, and certainly severely harmed some.

i am sure this case will be thrown out again. And if not, I expect it will go up to the European Court, & I'm positive they'll throw it out.

CyberKitten said...

Mrs A said: It violates their right to religious freedom?

I know.... bizarre or what. They wanted the Right to smack children because it's part of their caring loving belief....

Beyond belief I thought!

dbackdad said...

Marrying a dozen underage girls is a part of a religious belief system too (Mormon) but that doesn't make it right. Regardless of your religion (or lack of), you still need to fit within the constraints of whatever society you live in. If that doesn't work for you, start your own country.

Sadie Lou said...

we spank our children but I would never let someone else spank my children. If a school official has a problem disciplining my child with conventional methods, they can call me and I will handle it. It's the school's job to educate--it's my job to parent.