About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Ten Books

These are the Ten Books I keep by my bedside at the moment. When I finish one I replace it with something that I think might interest me dipping into them as the mood takes me. Here is the list (in no particular order) with how many pages I’ve read of each – so far.

Future Noir: The Making of Bladerunner by Paul M Sammon (90 pages)

American Dream: Global Nightmare by Ziauddin Sardar & Wyn Davies (50 pages)

In the Company of Heroes by Michael J Durant & Steven Hartov (340 pages)

Globalization and its Discontents by Joseph Stiglitz (135 pages)

Secrets of the Code: The Unauthorised Guide to the Mysteries behind The Da Vinci Code edited by Dan Burstein (215 pages)

The Golden Ratio: The Story of Phi by Mario Livio (20 pages)

Secrets & Lies: Digital Security in a Networked World by Bruce Schneier (146 pages)

Freedom Evolves by Daniel C Dennett (96 pages)

The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins (272 pages)

Critical Mass: How one thing leads to another by Philip Ball (327 pages)

What we Believe but Cannot Prove: Science in the Age of Certainty edited by John Brockman (200 pages)

I do like to keep it nice and varied.

8 comments:

JR said...

I just went to a local bookstore that was closing. It was pretty picked over, but I picked up: _Our Endangered Values - America's Moral Crisis_ by former President Jimmy Carter, a new Spanish/English dictionary, a book about Airstream travel trailers (someday I'll own one), and _Animals in Translation : Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior_ by Temple Grandin. I'll let you know if they're any good. I've started on the Airstream book already, but then I'm a fanatic, so my opinion on this one probably doesn't count. I did pick up a French grammar book to brush up on my very rusty French, but then put it back thinking I probably wouldn't find time for it anyway.

CyberKitten said...

I'm still buying more books per month than I read............. But I guess that there are worse addictions [chuckle]

craziequeen said...

I adore Company of Heroes - powerfully strong book about a modest yet (IMHO) a powerfully strong man.......

cq

CyberKitten said...

CQ said: I adore Company of Heroes - powerfully strong book about a modest yet (IMHO) a powerfully strong man.......

I'll finish it one day......... [grin]

dbackdad said...

I'm really big into "making of" books and documentaries. I've read all of Spike Lee's diaries of the making of his early movies. My favorite "making of" was "Rebel Without a Crew", about the making of Desparado by Robert Rodriquez. The Bladerunner books sounds interesting.

I read and enjoyed the Golden Ratio. It does a really good job of dispelling a lot of the myths about Phi and by relation, Pi. I've met a lot of nutjobs that put way too much into numerology.

Read and liked Da Vinci Code and have been meaning to get one of the books that talk about it.

I've not read any Dawkins but I really need to get on that.

Paste said...

I don't know whether to be impressed or amazed. How do you manage to keep so many books 'on the go' and be able to remember where you are in each one? I have to finish every book I start before I pick up another one!

CyberKitten said...

I also have a daytime book - which is normally fiction. Sometimes if I leave a book too long it takes me a few pages to get back into things, but mostly its OK. I do tend to stay with one book for a while until maybe I get a bit bored with it or I'm not in the mood for anything too deep so transfer to another one. It's not so bad with non-fiction, but I certainly couldn't keep more than one fiction book 'on the go' - that's FAR too confusing.

I blame my butterfly mind....

dbackdad said...

Correction: "El Mariachi" ... not "Desperado". May the useless trivia gods punish me.