About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Why do Skeptics doubt the existence of God? – Part II

From: Why I Am a Skeptic about Religious Claims

By Paul Kurtz

The historic religions maintain that God has revealed himself in history and that he has manifested his presence to selected humans. These revelations are not corroborated by independent, objective observers. They are disclosed, rather, to privileged prophets or mystics, whose claims have not been adequately verified: there is insufficient circumstantial evidence to confirm their authenticity. To attribute inexplicable events to miracles performed by God, as declared in the so-called sacred literature, is often a substitute for finding their true causes scientifically. Scientific inquiry is generally able to explain alleged "miracles" by discovering natural causes.

The Bible, Qur'an, and other classical documents are full of contradictions and factual errors. They were written by human beings in ancient civilizations, expressing the scientific and moral speculations of their day. They do not convey the eternal word of God, but rather the yearnings of ancient tribes based on oral legends and received doctrines; as such, they are hardly relevant to all cultures and times. The Old and New Testaments are not accurate accounts of historical events. The reliability of the Old Testament is highly questionable in the events and personages it depicts; Moses, Abraham, Joseph, etc. are largely uncorroborated by historical evidence. As for the New Testament, scholarship has shown that none of its authors knew Jesus directly. The four Gospels were not written by eyewitnesses but are products of oral tradition and hearsay. There is but flimsy and contradictory evidence for the virgin birth, the healings of Jesus, and the Resurrection. Similarly, contrary to Muslim claims that that religion's scriptures passed virtually unmediated from Allah, there have in fact been several versions of the Qur'an; it is no less a product of oral traditions than the Bible. Likewise, the provenance of the Hadith, allegedly passed down by Muhammad's companions, has not been independently confirmed by reliable historical research.

Some claim to believe in God because they say that God has entered into their personal lives and has imbued them with new meaning. This is a psychological or phenomenological account of a person's inner experience. It is hardly adequate evidence for the existence of a divine being independent of human beings' internal soliloquies. Appeals to mystical experiences or private subjective states hardly suffice as evidential support that some external being or force caused such altered states of consciousness; skeptical inquirers have a legitimate basis for doubt, unless or until such claims of interior experience can somehow be independently corroborated. Experiences of God or gods, or angels or demons, talking to one may disturb or entrance those persons who undergo such experiences, but the question is whether these internal subjective states have external veracity. This especially applies to those individuals who claim some sort of special revelation from on high, such as the hearing of commandments.

[To be continued in Part III].

3 comments:

CyberKitten said...

uberchap said: I am amused by the need for athiests to constantly assert themselves in patronising ways about their limited understanding of those who profess a faith.

Unlike Theists of course - from the other PoV...

uberchap also said: This is just another re-hash of the same old tired "arguments" about the supposed non-existence of God.

But does being 'old' and 'tired' arguments make them any less valid? Are 'new' arguments inherently better than the classics?

uberchap observed: Atheism is no more than a belief.

As is Theism. Your point being?

uberchap said: If you wish to dismiss personal testimony about the impact of God on your life because the evidence is uncorroboratable (if that's a word) then you can dismiss all the space alien witnessing/abduction etc. stuff as well as it relies on nothing more than personal accounts by far fewer people than those of faith. But, despite that these stories have a real grip for some.

Yup. Just because a person *says* something doesn't make it true. If someone said they had bacon and eggs this morning I wouldn't really care one way or another. If someone said that they had been abducted by aliens and wanted me to accept everything they said with no other evidence whatsoever... well, the answer would be 'no'. Fantasic claims need a great deal of hard evidence.

uberchap said: So, athiests all, give yourselves up. You'll miss less than you think and gain more than you can possibly imagine.

I think I'll stick with my atheism thanks.

CyberKitten said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CyberKitten said...

uberchap said: Well your loss, cyberkitten.

I don't believe so - obviously.

uberchap also said: My point being about belief is that atheists often claim that they have the monopoly on the truth.

Indeed. I don't believe that I have claimed to know anything with absolute certainty. If I've given that impression at any point it was incorrect. I don't think anyone or any PoV has absolute authority where the Truth is concerned. We are very much in the early stages of finding out what is *really* going on in the Universe.

uberchap said: All I was pointing out was that your view is no more valid than mine no matter how its dressed up.

I'm assuming that we both believe that our PoV is more valid than the other persons - because we hold it. If I thought that your PoV was more valid then I would presumably change my PoV to be more like yours.

uberchap finally said: I post in this blog because I read athiests making false claims about faith to make their point. I'm sure you'd do the same in my blog if I misrepresented facts to suit my prejudices. I assumed you would not mind.

I don't *mind* you posting here in the least. In fact I'm glad you post here. We've had some interesting, if sometimes heated, debates on topics that are an interest to both of us. I hope that you'll stick around and argue with me some more. It may ultimately be pointless (but who can tell) but it is interesting.