About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Wouldn’t it be cool to be able to fly?

Prompted, at least partially, by my recent viewing of X-Men 3: The Last stand I’ve been thinking about how cool it would be to be able to fly. Having the ability to just leap into the air whenever you felt like it and fly off somewhere. Wouldn’t that be so liberating?

I sometimes catch myself watching birds flying around and can’t help but wonder if they actually enjoy their abilities. I suppose it’s a bit like asking if people enjoy walking or if fish enjoy swimming. It’s just something that they do without much thought. But sometimes I do get the feeling that birds actually do enjoy flying. You can see them sometimes seemingly ‘playing’ with the wind, almost testing their limits. You see them at other times doing acrobatics with others of their kind and that’s just got to be fun.

OK. I’m sure that flying probably has its downside too and would undoubtedly present no end of practical problems if humans could do it – but we can dream, can’t we?

1 comment:

Sadie Lou said...

I love the dreams I have where I can fly. Sometimes the flying dreams are scary and I struggle to stay in the air. Other times, flying is like soaring and it's the most natural thing I know.
Angel is a lucky mutant. I haven't gotten out to see that movie yet.
I wrote a book review you might be interested in.