About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

My Favourite Music: Anthem by Toyah

I was lucky in being the right age when the Punk revolution hit the UK in the late 1970’s. I vividly remember hearing the Sex Pistols and others on the radio and being deeply shocked and at the same time energised and exhilarated. I’m sure the majority of the listening population had heard nothing like it before and what made it even sweeter was that our parents found it both appalling and incomprehensible.

I suppose you could call Toyah (Wilcox) a ‘second generation’ punk. Anthem was released in 1981 and I consider it her best album. It certainly had several tracks that I regard as her finest work and felt that they vocalised what many of my generation were feeling at the time.

I liked Toyah because she didn’t spend her time screaming incoherently at her audience – as some of the first generation punks certainly did – but sang about alienation, individuality, freedom and the mysteries of existence. A kind of thinking, intelligent punk if you will [grin]. Definitely part of the soundtrack of my life.

4 comments:

Paste said...

She didn't scream she lisped!

I last saw her about five years ago in 'Jack n the beanstalk' with that Kelly fellow with the beard who had 'Stars in his eyes'!

CyberKitten said...

She did actually say in an interview that she couldn't understand people buying her records as she couldn't sing!

She did squeel quite a bit though!!!

dbackdad said...

Wow ... I considered myself quite a student of punk and I'd never heard of her. I'll have to hunt down a disk of hers. Thanks for the recommendation.

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: Thanks for the recommendation.

My pleasure. I grew up during the punk era but am far from an expert. No doubt I'll be reviewing more music from that time over the coming months so I might be introducing you to other bands/artists too..

Hope you enjoy Toyah.