About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Just Finished Reading: Secrets and Lies – Digital Security in a Networked World by Bruce Schneier

Although fairly old in IT terms (having been written 6 years ago) Secrets and Lies is still a useful introduction into the world of computer security. It certainly covers all of the bases including Cryptography, Authentication, Secure hardware and software together with my particular favourite – Attack Trees which do indeed sound like something from the movie Minority Report.

Anyway, [grin] this has been my bedtime reading for a while now – and not because it helped me sleep. Schneier actually has a very accomplished technique of getting complicated and, to be honest, sometimes tedious information across in a way that even I could understand. Certainly if you have any interest in computer security this is worth a read. It will definitely make you a little more paranoid about connecting your PC to the Internet, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing is it?

2 comments:

dbackdad said...

Sounds cool. Have you ever read Masters of Deception? It's also a few years old and is more about the social engineering side of security and hacking, but I found it interesting (and all books about computer security).

CyberKitten said...

Strangely enough I have read that - but quite some years ago. In fact I can see it on my bookcase if I turn my head slightly.... [grin].

I've been fascinated by Hacking & Cracking for years now, but then again I'm interested in just about everything at one time or another...