About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Just Finished Reading: Life Form by Alan Dean Foster.

In the near future a mission sets out to explore a promising new world. On landing the scientific team find more than anyone had imagined possible – not only an abundant eco-system but the first contact with extraterrestrial intelligent life. Slowly the planet Xica gives up its secrets and all too soon the scientists discover that not everything is as it first appeared and fairly soon people start to die.

This is a solid piece of science fiction. It’s certainly been done before and possibly better but ADF writes well and it was certainly worth the time and effort involved in reading it. Don’t expect anything astounding or life changing from this novel – just good characterisation, an interesting location and some fascinating aliens. A fun read but nothing to write home about.

4 comments:

dbackdad said...

I've read quite a few ADF's, but none since I was about 16. Like you said, fairly standard sci-fi, but entertaining enough. Is this a newer book?

CyberKitten said...

Life Form was published in 1995.

I've read loads of his stuff and normally enjoy them. This one while good was a bit ordinary.

Ken Comer said...

I think the best "first contact with an intelligent alien species" book I have ever read was The Color of Distance by Amy Thomson. There was a sequel, too. Amy also wrote the excellent Virtual Girl. I like ADF--especially Dead Fred (did I get that title right?)--but Amy has only written three books (that I know of) and they were all as good as ADF's best.

CyberKitten said...

I've never heard of Amy Thomson - I'll have to check her out.

Thanks.