About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Just Finished Reading: Politics – A Very Short Introduction by Kenneth Minogue.

This is my second VSI (Very Short Introduction) book and I’m starting to be impressed by their quality. Professor Minogue manages to cover a very broad subject in just 111 pages. Starting with a run through (actually a gallop through) of political history from the Greeks – who invented it – to the Early Modern period in Europe he points out the major factors which influenced the emergence of what we recognise as the modern State. Later sections covered the experience of Politics from the point of view of Activists and Political Parties. The section I found most interesting was on Political Ideology (the term actually invented in 1797 by a French philosopher called Destutt de Tracy) and how that has affected the shape and understanding of political ideals.

All in all this was a very interesting introduction to the world of politics – which was the whole point. Both readable and stimulating it made me want to know more about the subject so more than adequately fulfilled its purpose. I’ve got about 6-8 of these books to read yet and am already looking forward to them. I think that there are about 200 books in this series so they should keep my mind expanding in all directions for years to come.

No comments: