About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Just Finished Reading: Battlestar Galactica – The Official Companion by David Bassom.

This was most certainly a nice change of pace from my normal bedtime reading. Not a long word of philosophical point to be seen. In fact this volume was so light that it barely existed at all.

The book consisted mainly of episode reviews and brief interviews with the cast and crew who repeated in various ways how much they enjoyed being on the show and working with each other. This slim work was thin on detail and always left me thinking that there must be more going on during the writing, filming and post production of one of the best shows (never mind the best SF shows) I’ve seen in quite some time.

Maybe I was expecting too much – then again maybe I always do. The book does contain some very nice publicity shots and original art work from the design stage but apart from that would only really interest the shows dedicated fan-base. Not bad but could’ve been a lot better.

4 comments:

dbackdad said...

I've got the first season in my Netflix queue. I'll be on the Battlestar Gallactica bandwagon soon enough. Just give me a chance.

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad - I'm sure that you'll be impressed. I certainly didn't like the original - which I thought was far too 'camp'. The new re-imaged version is hard hitting and very gritty. It's violent, sexy and addresses issues of today in an uncompromising way that forces you to think 'outside the box'. I have the mini-series and the first two seasons on DVD. Now waiting for season three. I've seen half of it already but my cable channel stopped showing it due to an argument with Sky TV. It'll be worth the wait....

Skywolf said...

I'm just getting into it too! A friend is lending me the DVDs at the moment. I've seen the miniseries and am just getting into series 1. Liking it very much so far.

CyberKitten said...

It's great stuff... Gritty & 'realistic'.