About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Just Finished Reading: Being Good – A short Introduction to Ethics by Simon Blackburn

Professor Blackburn not only knows his ‘stuff’ but also writes exceedingly well about it. In consequence this very fine introduction to the world of Ethical thinking is actually difficult to put down.

The author (somewhat strangely in my opinion) begins with what he perceives to be the threats to ethics from ideas as various as the ‘death of God’, relativism and determinism. He then outlines some of the ideas of ethics surrounding birth, death, pleasure, freedom and much else besides. Finally he puts forward the various thoughts on the foundations of ethical thinking and, one by one, criticises them. Ultimately he is brave enough (and correct in my mind) to conclude that no concrete unassailable foundation for ethics actually exists. Like me he does not consider that this unfortunate fact means the field of ethical enquiry has reached a literal dead-end. Like me he views ethics as very much a human construct, one which we must struggle with despite its imperfections.

Well written, tightly argued and intelligent this is a book well worth reading for all those interesting in ethical theory. I shall definitely be reading more by him soon. Highly recommended.

No comments: