About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, February 07, 2008

I Say "Atheist," for Several Good Reasons

By Bobbie Kirkhart

HumanistNetworkNews.org

Aug. 22, 2007

I’m a humanist, sure. Who in the freethought community isn't? Okay, a few curmudgeons, but humanism, to give a simple definition, means that we have human values, not divine ones. It only makes sense. And I’m not lackadaisical about my humanism. I'm proud to be a life member of the American Humanist Association and a board member of the Institute for Humanist Studies, which publishes this e-zine. I work hard for freethought, and much of that is with humanist groups.

But when people ask about my philosophy, I rarely say "humanist;" I say "atheist" for several good reasons. First, there is the obvious: The word "humanist" is usually misunderstood. The Los Angeles Times once printed an article saluting Pope John Paul as a humanist.

People know what an atheist is. They may think we have some illogical certainty, as last week’s guest columnist in Humanist Network News opined that a strong atheist says, "I do not know, or care, what your concept of God is, I hold it to be false." Others think we are intolerant of all religion, as some of us are. So are some humanists.

It is mostly people in the religious community who think that we have absolutely no morality. In spite of all these silly misconceptions and propaganda, almost everyone does know that we somehow manage to live our lives without a god belief, and when they see us living, laughing and loving as open atheists, they will likely be disabused of the fictions about us. In countries where god-belief is causing great damage, as it is in the U.S., we must model a life fulfilled without faith.

Many humanists point out that the word atheist does not suggest any particular morality. Of course, they are right. I think most atheists are, as I am, positive atheists, who hold the same values that humanists claim, although the rationale is different. The humanist says that being pacifist, egalitarian and benevolent is morally right. The positive atheist says that these values are natural, and we deviate from them as a reaction to oppression, including the oppression of religion. I prefer to emphasize that right is natural, noting that these two ideas are mutually reinforcing, and refuting those destructive religious concepts that define humans as innately "sinful."

Possibly my upbringing in the Bible Belt has influenced my thinking. I have heard many people boast "I'm a Christian," claiming that this identification bestows on them a halo of righteousness not shared by those of us whose beliefs are different from theirs. I see the same religious zeal in humanists who disparage us atheists. While this is a minority in the community, it is not as rare as it should be. It takes all kinds, of course, and some atheists do criticize humanists as being "wimpy" in their nonbelief. I have never, however, heard this from the speaker at an atheist meeting nor read an article in an atheist publication telling readers they should avoid the term. I've heard humanist leaders use the power of the podium to tell me I should not use the term atheist, not only in humanist meetings, but also in atheist meetings. This goes well beyond a philosophical difference; it reflects the religious idea that some words are taboo.

Those who attack us often claim that they are simply concerned about the baggage that comes with the word atheist. Indeed, there is baggage, and by silencing some and making others more confrontational, it damages our movement, both atheist and humanist. When our fellow freethinkers show the same prejudices, they reinforce society's bigotry. I have no quarrel with the many good people who attribute their ethics to a humanist philosophy. The variety in American Christianity is a major reason this country has so many Christians, and we would do well to emulate that in the community of reason. I think we can and should to do this without also mimicking the intolerance of their certainty that they have found the one way.

[Thoughts?]

10 comments:

Juggling Mother said...

If asked what religion I am I would usually respond with "none"

If asked what i believe about God, i respond with "Im an atheist"

If asked about my morality (which usually only comes after some lengthy previous discussion tbh) I may mention some humanist leanings, but would not define myself as such. my morality is a mixiture of my experiences, beliefs, culture, social conditioning, and all the stuff that makes me me. Like all these words, "humansit" means verylitle. no more nor less than "Christian". It is too wide a term.

"they are simply concerned about the baggage that comes with the word atheist. Indeed, there is baggage"

what baggage?

CyberKitten said...

JM said: my morality is a mixiture of my experiences, beliefs, culture, social conditioning, and all the stuff that makes me me.

Indeed. It's not like we're injected with morality @ birth.

JM said: Like all these words, "humansit" means very litle. no more nor less than "Christian". It is too wide a term.

Humanist is a very wide term. That's why I don't use it very often.

JM asked: what baggage?

Good question. I think she means all the 'baggage' that theists bring to the term. Probably..... Otherwise I don't know.

Does Atheist bring baggage with it? I certainly can't think of any.

dbackdad said...

The "baggage" that atheist brings with it is that a lot of people assume it as being the strong atheist position by default, which it rarely is.

I used to resist calling myself an atheist, usually using agnostic or humanist instead (perhaps for the reason mentioned above). But over the last couple of years, a lot of reading, and a lot of discussions with the likes of CK, JA, Laura, Great White Bear, etc., I find myself not being afraid to go by the title of atheist. It's what I am and I'm not embarrassed by it. And if rationally discussing my beliefs brings a more positive light on "atheist" to my friends and family, so much the better.

Antimatter said...

I still lean towards skeptical agnostic, and I don't think the existence or non-existence of a deity is important to be honest!

As for the article, I think whenever you put people with common beliefs together as a group they invariably become somewhat insular and protective of their commonalities at the expense of others, even if the group is based upon openness, tolerance, and rationality.

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: The "baggage" that atheist brings with it is that a lot of people assume it as being the strong atheist position by default, which it rarely is.

True. I often have a heck of a problem trying to convince people that there is a difference between *not* believing in something and *believing* that something doesn't exist.

dbackdad said: But over the last couple of years, a lot of reading, and a lot of discussions with the likes of CK, JA, Laura, Great White Bear, etc., I find myself not being afraid to go by the title of atheist.

Glad to be of help [grin].

AM said: I still lean towards skeptical agnostic, and I don't think the existence or non-existence of a deity is important to be honest!

Me neither really but it is a subject that keeps coming up (in Blogland anyway). It's also an interesting (though largely meaningless) philosophical debating point.

wstachour said...

Here I am out on my own little branch again, but I DO think a lot of morality is hard-wired, not as an absolute, maybe, but as a tendency for pro-social behavior. I think our desire to help others is more present in the brain than just what teaching children achieves (even if this teaching is necessary).

I tend not to use the term Atheist as a self-descriptor because I want my views on the spirit world not to be the source of how I'm labeled. It just doesn't figure, except to people who are primarily mythologists (and they don't get to establish the playing field).

I also agree that the term can be loaded in so many people's minds, so that you have to be ready to make a defense and attempt a redefinition.

And lastly, I reject religion's claim to moral wisdom--at least, I reject that the church's morality has anything to do with the church or its myths. Xianity has its commandments (only half of which deal with anything moral) and a few other tidbits--turn the other cheek, forgive others' transgressions, etc--but it's a weak argument that the whole edifice of religion is required for these things (I would argue "inevitable discovery;" we would come across these sentiments on our own--and indeed, all religions have found these things; they're essential pro-social building blocks).

CyberKitten said...

wunelle said: Here I am out on my own little branch again, but I DO think a lot of morality is hard-wired, not as an absolute, maybe, but as a tendency for pro-social behavior.

Oh, you're far from being alone in that! There is a growing body of work that points to much of our basic morality being hardwired by millions of years of natural selection. I have several books on that very subject that I need to get around to reading.

wunelle said: I tend not to use the term Atheist as a self-descriptor because I want my views on the spirit world not to be the source of how I'm labeled.

I know what you mean. I am an Atheist - but its not who I *am*.

wunelle said: I also agree that the term can be loaded in so many people's minds, so that you have to be ready to make a defense and attempt a redefinition.

Over here when the topic comes up I normally get a look which says "Of course you are. That's a given. Why bother even mentioning it?"

wunelle said: And lastly, I reject religion's claim to moral wisdom--at least, I reject that the church's morality has anything to do with the church or its myths.

Totally. For several good reasons.

wunelle said: but it's a weak argument that the whole edifice of religion is required for these things.

Definitely. But unfortunely it appears to be the case that if you accept *any* part of a religion you have to accept everything. That's one reason why I throw out the baby (Jesus) with the (holy) bathwater.

wstachour said...

It's a new phrase: Throw out the Jesus with the holy water! ;-)

Stardust said...

When I am asked what my religion is I also say "none" and if pressed for an explanation, then I say I am atheist. Usually those asking don't go beyond the first question. However I was a bit pissed off when I was in the hospital and they asked what religion and I said none, they checked off Protestant anyway! I asked them to remove it and they said ok...but recently went to the hospital for some tests and it was still on there. The god botherers just can't accept that some reject god beliefs.

CyberKitten said...

stardust said: However I was a bit pissed off when I was in the hospital and they asked what religion and I said none, they checked off Protestant anyway!

I remember you saying how much God-bothering you got in hospital! Some people really can't take no for an answer.

stardust said: The god botherers just can't accept that some reject god beliefs.

Weird isn't it.It's like there's a blank spot in their minds or something.