About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, March 24, 2008

Just Finished Reading: Continental Philosophy – A Very Short Introduction by Simon Critchley

Before reading this small volume I was already aware that there are two main streams of thought in Western Philosophy – the Anglo-American or Analytic and the Continental (European). Critchley explains exactly what this difference is and spends several chapters outlining the origins of the split. More interestingly (from my point of view) he points out that Continental philosophy is concerned with three main things: Critique, praxis and emancipation. In other words it criticises present social practices working towards transformation in order to emancipate us from things that are unjust, unfree or untrue.

A second major theme outlined by the author is its response to the problem of nihilism. After the ‘death of God’ Continental philosophy attempts to answer the question: how are we to structure our societies and ourselves to prevent a fall into a world where ‘anything goes’? This, I think, is a vital project. Lastly Critchley spends some time on the tension between the trend towards Scientism and the reverse trend towards Obscurantism in philosophical thinking.

Though very well written – much better than the previous VSI volume – this book did make my head ache at times. However, the main thrust of Continental philosophy did greatly appeal to me – especially the idea that philosophy must be critical of the status quo and also deal with the problem of God (or lack thereof). Both of these themes are, I think, very important indeed in today’s complex world. Needless to say I shall be following this up in the future. This work has certainly helped me focus my attention on an area deserving of more study so you should expect the musings of Continental philosophers to show up with increasing regularity from now on. I would certainly recommend this book to anyone whose knowledge of this subject was as sketchy as mine. An enjoyable if at times mind-bending read.

2 comments:

Laura said...

It sounds very interesting. I admit, though, that I have a very short attention span for pure philosophy. Is there a cliffs notes version? :)

CyberKitten said...

These books run to about 100 small pages so aren't too bad. This particular book is very well written and doesn't spend much time on what I think you mean by 'pure philosophy' and is more about the history of Continental Philosophy rather than the thing itself.

It was actually my bedtime reading so I read about 5 pages per night before I got too sleepy. So no long attention span is needed really - honest [grin].