About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, June 02, 2008

Just Finished Reading: Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy edited by Jason T Eberl

How could I possibly resist a book on two of my favourite subjects? Well I did – for about 3-4 weeks. It was coming up to my Birthday when I spotted it and I didn’t dare buy it immediately just in case someone else had bought it for me. No one had, so I bought it on my Birthday itself – I was out shopping as I never work on my actual birth day.

Anyway, was it any good? Indeed it was. BSG is, of course, oozing with philosophical issues and this book hits all the highlights. One of my favourite chapters was on the Cylon ‘slave morality’ as outlined by Nietzsche (in his case talking about Christianity). Other chapters covered fleet politics with reference to Machiavelli, Cylon ‘personhood’ and identity in the face of multiple copies of the same ‘person’ and ‘resurrection’, trans-humanism and the emergence of intelligent machines and the ethics of resistance to repressive occupation. A whole section was given over to the Cylon and Colonial interpretations of the idea of God(s) together with a discussion of destiny, providence and the idea of Free Will.

This is certainly a book for anyone interested in the deeper meaning behind some of BSG’s most challenging ideas. It’s also an easy way for a fan of the series to start to get their heads around some of the basic philosophic ideas. I have uniformly enjoyed the pop-culture/philosophy books I’ve come across so far and recommend them to those who, like me, are interested equally in both. This was an excellent and thought provoking book.

8 comments:

dbackdad said...

Sci-fi and philosophy. You can't beat that in my eyes. Sounds very interesting.

CyberKitten said...

There are some very good Matrix & Philosophy books out there too - for obvious reasons [grin].

This book (just reviewed) is very good if you have more than a passing knowledge of BSG.

Laura said...

Interesting. I might have to look this up. I can't wait for the finale. I have my theories about how it will conclude (the same theory I had in season 1 actually).

United We Lay said...

I didn't even know it was out, but now that I do, I HAVE to read it this summer!!!

CyberKitten said...

laura said: Interesting. I might have to look this up.

There *is* a particular chapter you might like: Is Starbuck a woman? [grin]

laura said: I can't wait for the finale. I have my theories about how it will conclude (the same theory I had in season 1 actually).

Unfortunately I'm going to have to wait for the DVD release as I don't subscribe to the channel its on [sobs]

united said: I didn't even know it was out, but now that I do, I HAVE to read it this summer!!!

Strangley there are *two* BSG & Philosophy books. One (the reviewed book) is out - obviously - the other is out soon... Go figure!

John said...

Laura and I will gladly give you access to our slingbox to watch it at your leisure. The only problem will be that you will be behind since I didn't record any episodes on the PVR it's attached to. I'd be interested on how well the connectivity works "across the pond"

Antimatter said...

The book sounds fascinating. I love BSG, easily one of the best things on television, ever...

Sadly, it looks like we'll have to wait till next year for the conclusion since they're planning on stopping after ten episodes of season 4! Grrr...

CyberKitten said...

John said: Laura and I will gladly give you access to our slingbox to watch it at your leisure.

Thanks for the offer - its much appreciated. But as you said you don't have every episode so.... Also a friend from work has been downloading them but still... I'll wait for the box-set. Thanks again though!

AM said: I love BSG, easily one of the best things on television, ever...

Agreed. I was *very* disparaging of the idea when I first heard about it. But it turned out to be fantastic.

AM said: Sadly, it looks like we'll have to wait till next year for the conclusion since they're planning on stopping after ten episodes of season 4!

Bloody typical......