About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Just Finished Reading: Aliens Vs Predator – Prey by Steve Perry & Stephani Perry

Machiko Noguchi is a low ranking official in a huge interstellar corporation. Based on the backward ranching colony on Ryushi she is considering her future and hopes for more interesting times ahead. She should have been careful what she wished for as that destiny is already on route to her. For Ryushi is a Predator training planet where young warriors are put through their paces against the Hard Meat – very sleek, very deadly and very black aliens bread for the hunt. Unfortunately for the colonists caught in the middle they’re going to have to choose between being prey, hosts or warriors. Machiko gets her wish and her fight for survival begins. But first she needs to decide who her enemies are and who can help her stay alive in circumstances she never believed possible in her wildest dreams.

I don’t normally read tie-in books because I often find them inferior to the original idea. But thought I’d give this a go – partially on the recommendation of my online gaming partner Ali_P and partly as something ‘different’ from my normal fare. This actually turned out to be a highly enjoyable novel. Whilst not exactly great literature (which I wasn’t honestly expecting) it was competently written, didn’t push the AvP genre beyond what I expected of it and was honestly gripping. Reasonable characterisation, fairly good plot and lots of heart thumping, gut ripping, acid spraying action. If you want a simple, brain in neutral alien on alien gore fest – with some distinctly disturbing moments – this is definitely the book for you. Pure entertainment!

4 comments:

Thomas Fummo said...

I read a pretty good book during my trip through europe...
i shall emulate you as best as I can and write a review at some point.

oh yeah, and a full detailed account of my trip is currently available on my lamentably poorly-read blog.

*le sigh*

I was never into the AVP thing. I never even watched Predator. But i loved Alien.
I'm not sure where I'm going with this.
It's still early and I'm tired. :-D

Stephen said...

What are the odds of two people named Steven and Stephani marrying and writing a book together?

CyberKitten said...

PB said: i shall emulate you as best as I can and write a review at some point.

I shall look forward to it. SF/Fantasy I'm guessing?

PB said: I was never into the AVP thing. I never even watched Predator. But i loved Alien.

Alien was a great SF horror film. Aliens was a great Combat SF film. I didn't really like the other two in the series, though Alien: Resurrection had its moments. I enjoyed both Predator films in different ways too. Despite all of the slatting I even enjoyed both of the AvP movies.... [laughs] but I guess its my favourite genre so what's not to like?

sc said: What are the odds of two people named Steven and Stephani marrying and writing a book together?

They're actually father and daughter [grin]

Stephen said...

Cyberkitten said: "They're actually father and daughter [grin]"


Well, that simplifies things greatly. :-D