About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Friday, August 22, 2008

My Favourite TV: Kung Fu

Running for 45 episodes between 1972 and 1975 this ground breaking show successfully mixed the martial arts genre with that of the classic Western. The premise of the show had David Carradine (playing the half Chinese half American Kwai Chang Caine) on the run from a crime he committed in China whilst searching the West for his half brother who is the only surviving link to his past. Along the way he uses his skill at Kung Fu as well as large dollops of Chinese philosophy to help people he comes across on his journey.

What made this show special to me was the figure of Caine himself. I can’t remember being particular impressed with the martial arts but what did strike me rather forcefully was the way he went about things. The character exhibited an amazing reverence for all life – even that of his opponents. He was at peace in a violent place and was unafraid in a land pervaded by fear. Above all else he exhibited a deep wisdom that left all those around him profoundly moved and more often than not bemused. I think it is not too far fetched to say that the wisdom of Caine had a significant influence on my teenage persona and probably was an important component of what makes me the person I am today. I’ve just finished watching the first series on DVD and was still much impressed by Carradine’s portrayal of the kindly, knowing and wise Kwai Chang Caine. The actually episodes, viewed through the cynical eyes of a 21st century TV viewer, are rather simplistic and to be honest rather slow in tempo but the nuggets of gold scattered throughout each episode still glitter as they did over 30 years ago. Caine's philosophy is simply breath-taking and as meaningful today as it was back then – maybe more so. I am really looking forward to watching the second series. If you missed this the first time around or where just too young to catch it I can recommend buying or borrowing the DVDs. If it is indeed your first time then I envy you because you’re in for a real treat. Enjoy.

7 comments:

Thomas Fummo said...

never even heard of it... but it sounds like great stuff!
Kung-fu cowboy? Pure greatness!

and by the way, thank you for your comment on my blog. I'm going to edit the post but copy and paste what you write in the comment box, seeing as they brought about a certain.... epihpany.

muahahahaha!!!

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Kung Fu was a great show. I also enjoyed the sequel Kung Fu: The Legend Continues. Of course even that series ended in 97, so I doubt Evil Twin was watching it. ;-)

CyberKitten said...

ET said: never even heard of it... but it sounds like great stuff!
Kung-fu cowboy? Pure greatness!

It might feel a bit slow to you but its worth persevering with.

ET: I'm going to edit the post but copy and paste what you write in the comment box, seeing as they brought about a certain.... epihpany.

Oh... Have I created a monster? [laughs]

Mike said: Kung Fu was a great show.

Totally agree.

Oh, and welcome to my world.....

Antimatter said...

I grew up watching this show, it was terrific! Tried to watch it again recently and it has aged a bit, but you're right in that Caine's serene pacifisim and philosophy are still captivating and relevant today...

Stardust said...

This brings back memories. When we were first married my husband had to watch this show and never missed an episode. I did watch it with him. Great show.

Karlo said...

It was a great show. It's probably responsible for initially perking my interest in East-Asian philosophy.

CyberKitten said...

AM, stardust, Karlo...

I think the show had a huge influence on people. It was very much of its time but also contained timeless truths - which is pretty strange for prime time TV!

I'm glad that it wasn't just me who liked it so much [grin]