About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Friday, October 17, 2008

Just Finished Reading: The World Without Us by Alan Weisman

Imagine a world without Man. Not a world where we never existed – an interesting idea in itself – but a world where we suddenly and non-violently disappeared. What would happen to everything we left behind? This was the fascinating premise of this equally fascinating book. Looking at the decay of whole towns – evidenced in the area around Chernobyl and DMZs around the world – the life spans of our various chemical compounds and the likelihood of our monuments being around for the next species to evolve sentience Weisman weaves an intriguing picture of the world progressively returning to nature. Full of so much information it’s hard to know where to start this book is humbling in that it shows just how fragile our supposedly commanding hold on the world actually is. Equally it continually points out just how the world and the creatures that suffer our attention would be better off if we did all just disappear over night.

This book was an absolute delight to read. I began by dipping into it for 10 or so minutes before I went to sleep but once I got half way through just couldn’t put it down any longer and finished it off over a weekend. I learnt so much from this book – both profound and trivial – that I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is truly an awesome work which will haunt your imagination for months afterwards and will probably change the way you think about the world and our place in it. Christmas is coming up and that’s a good excuse to buy this book for your friends and maybe drop a hint or two that you’d quite like a copy too. Sheer brilliance.

10 comments:

JR said...

"[I]t continually points out just how the world and the creatures that suffer our attention would be better off if we did all just disappear over night. This book was an absolute delight to read."

*roaring laughter* I know what you mean, but I just roared with laughter when I read that. My, but I bet you're just a ray of sunshine at times. ;-)

CyberKitten said...

V V said: *roaring laughter* I know what you mean, but I just roared with laughter when I read that. My, but I bet you're just a ray of sunshine at times. ;-)

It would appear that you 'get' me...

[rotflmao]

It has been said before that I could depress for England. I'm pretty sure I'd be in the team if it ever became an Olympic sport... [chuckle]

Of course I just think of it as seeing things how they really are. I guess that I'm just in touch with my Celtic heritage..... [grin]

dbackdad said...

Glad you read it and liked it. I figured it'd be something up your alley. Both me and the wife thought it was great (the book, that is ... not that we're putting our planet in the shitter).

I think our friends in Spinal Tap said it best:

Nigel: It really puts perspective on things, though, doesn't it?

David: Too much , there's too much fucking perspective now.

Thomas Fummo said...

I watched a documentary last year which talked about the same fascinating subject, If I recall correctly it was Life After Humans or something.

I find the whole post-apocalyptic/no more human scenario very interesting.
I often find myself imagining which animal would evolve and take over in our place...
hmm...

*starts giving the ants offerings*
yess... my leetle friends! grow! kill!...

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Since I was a teenager I've pondered a world without humans or at least with significantly less human impact.

The book sounds great. I'll add it to the list. Thanks!

Antimatter said...

Fascinating, thanks for the heads up on this! Sounds like a must read...

wstachour said...

I've been curious about this book.

I'll add it to my list!

CyberKitten said...

Maybe I should start asking Amazon for a commission... [laughs]

I hope you all enjoy it.

Stephen said...

I read this book right after the History Channel did a special on what would happen to the planet if we were to vanish. Very informative book, I must agree. What led you to it?

CyberKitten said...

sc said: Very informative book, I must agree. What led you to it?

Hard to say. As a bookaholic I cruise book sites looking for things that might feed my addiction. I might have come across it there during one of my random trawls.